VT500C sidecover question - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default VT500C sidecover question

I've just got "Purple Haze" 1985 VT500C on the road again (thanks to Shadow Forum - many solid tips and tricks) but one thing I haven't seen on any of the bikes posted was the type of badge information on my sidecovers.
Riders left it says Type S
Riders right it says Onsoku tuning components
Anyone familiar with this model and if it makes a difference for tuning?

I'm still chasing a battery gremlin as it won't start, unless I let it sit overnight. If I try to start it after running it for a period of time, it sounds like it doesn't have enough juice to start.

Battery is new (thinking I might find one with higher amps)
Pulse generator replaced
Coils test good
Charging output tests good
Cleaned all ground connections

Bump starts or with jumper cables no problem.
Can solve these problems with a little more time I think, but wondering what the differences might be between models and these badge IDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

'83-86 VT500C Shadow side covers, both sides, all say "Shadow 500". At least mine does. http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_VT500C

Quote:
The side cover decal "Shadow 500" was black and red with gold overlay.

Quote:
Riders left it says Type S
Riders right it says Onsoku tuning components
I'm unsure of your meaning. Does your left side cover say "Type S", and your right side cover say "Onsoku tuning components"? If so they are not original. A google search for "Onsoku tuning components" yields cage parts. The previous owner had some extra decals handy.

Though your battery might be new, it might still be defective. It certainly sounds like it. If you can bump or jump start it, your fuel and spark are Ok, just not enough battery to run your starter. Maybe get your battery tested?
TorontoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
mxs

Default Re: VT500C sidecover question

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanomartini
I'm still chasing a battery gremlin as it won't start, unless I let it sit overnight. If I try to start it after running it for a period of time, it sounds like it doesn't have enough juice to start.

Battery is new (thinking I might find one with higher amps)
Pulse generator replaced
Coils test good
Charging output tests good
Cleaned all ground connections
You need new coils. It's a well documented problem on these bikes. The coil test the manual recommends is only good to determine whether the coils are a complete toast or not (yours are not, because it starts when cold ...). You are not able to test the state in between, unless you have some high end equipment ....

Some people set their spark plug gaps to the minimum to get some more life out of the coils. Eventually you will need a new one anyways. They are not that expensive I believe.
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Onsoku mystery solved

Who ever put the badges on did a good job. These weren't just stickers, but raised embossed plastic hard pieces which were glued in place. So thanks to all for the input.

I'm taking the bike down to the Davidson battery tonight, they said they would do a full test for me and if a higher cranking battery is required they will swap me straight across.

I also have another set of coils I'm going to swap over tonight and test them out as well.

I haven't spent enough time on the forum site to discover how to upload images, but once I figure it out I will post some pics.

previous bikes:

85 V45 Sabre
96 BMW 650
85 V65 Sabre - loved it, but the power to brain ratio was out of whack.

85 VT500C
Old 07-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: Onsoku mystery solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanomartini
Who ever put the badges on did a good job. These weren't just stickers, but raised embossed plastic hard pieces which were glued in place...
Please, when you figure out how, I'd like to see a pic of your side covers. The original "Shadow 500" emblems were stick on decals with clear coat on top. I'm sure you can buy raised plastic lettering for a lot of automotive equipment.

The trend for cruisers these days is to not put the size of the bike anywhere, so I feel my side covers date itself.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

This is the right side cover for an '84 VT500C Shadow

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLar...3&ImageIndex=3
Old 07-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

If the battery is good, then you probably want to look at the starter motor.
I have read that hot starter motors don't want to turn over the engine if the starter motors are worn (brushes or bearings).

With bad coils, the engine turns over well but the coils don't spark when hot and therefore the engine doesn't start.
Coils are not cheap, but I would not buy old used coils to replace bad ones.

Enjoy the Shadow. Ride safely
1983 Shadow 500 - - Sold
2006 Ninja 500- - - - Sold
ExTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default VT500 DUMB coil question

This may sound dumb, but I've tried everything.
Tested a new set of coils, bike fired up right away with fully charged battery.
Turned it off and let it sit for 60 seconds.... now I don't even get a spark!!!
AAAARRGGGH!

Are the front and back coil different?
Are the coils from and 83 different? the numbers match, but a little symbol on the back is different, the old ones had a symbol that looks like a circle with a sign in it, the ones from the '83 have a symbol that also has a circle but has a / sign in it....don't know if that means anything.

Here's the dumb question does front coil fire (F-L F-R) and rear coil fire (R-L R-R) or (according to the wiring diagram I've got) does the front coil fire (F-L R-L) and the rear coil fire (F-R R-R). I even drew a map so I wouldn't cross wire it... messed up somewhere

I'm going outside and put the old coils back on and see if I get spark, I know they work, the only reason I though to replace them was that I discovered that the front coil was split open in the body.

Will check in later... thanks for all the help so far. I do appreciate your time
Old 07-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Coil swap

Put the old ones back in and still no spark... Looks like she's beat me again tonite. Will read a little more and go at it again over the weekend
Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
mxs

Are the coils you put in new, or both sets are used?

When you say, you didn't even get a spark, how did you test that? Also, was the starter motor spinning?
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement