High pitch whine - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default High pitch whine

So this has a 92% chance of not being anything out of the ordinary, but here goes.

My bike has this high pitch whine that seems to oscillate a bit with the acceleration as I go through the gears. Now I would say it is normal, but it has gotten louder in the last few weeks. I've put about 3,000 miles on my 750, and for the majority of those I never really noticed the whine much. I'm wondering if I need to check any fluid levels or hoses...thoughts?

Evstaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 5.0droptop Send a message via Yahoo to 5.0droptop

I would check all the fluids. Maybe take it to a good mechanic and have him ride it and listen to it.

05 Aero vt750
5.0droptop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: High pitch whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evstaman
My bike has this high pitch whine that seems to oscillate a bit with the acceleration as I go through the gears.
Does it go away completely when in neutral OR with the clutch pulled in?

My 600 has a whine in the transmission; I'm assuming it is the pilot shaft 'cause you only hear it when you are actually moving. I also assume it is normal.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to morepower

Which 750 do you have, chain or shaft? I notice more noise from my 750-DC after I installed the windshield. I get a little whine from the cam chain (I think), some from the transmission, and maybe some from the chain. All added together it's still nothing major, and without the windshield I really don't hear any of it.

Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

HardKromes, K&N, Bean Mod, 4* Timing Mod. Custom black metalflake
morepower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

It does go away when I pull the clutch or in neutral, it's just when I accelerate, so it sounds like it's normal *fingers crossed*

Old 07-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepower
Which 750 do you have, chain or shaft? I notice more noise from my 750-DC after I installed the windshield. I get a little whine from the cam chain (I think), some from the transmission, and maybe some from the chain. All added together it's still nothing major, and without the windshield I really don't hear any of it.
I've got the shaft drive...

Old 07-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to SirGCal

Whine or Whistle?

The 750's have an odd reed valve in the intake that, at just the right speeds, makes this, almost rattling high-pitched sound. They don't do it new either. Takes a few hundred to first start and a few thousand to get loud. I've got almost 6k on my 08 now and I've gotten used to it now that I figured out what it was. There's a way to shut it up with a BB or something, but now that I know what the noise is, it doesn't bother me. (I have a Jeep, want to talk about a vehicle that makes some odd noises... LOL!)

But... How to describe that whistle.... hmmm... like maybe a shoe on a basketball court type sound, really fast (engine pulses), but yet sounds almost like a rattling piece of metal. It's an odd one to be sure. Sometimes the exhaust is a bit lose which seems to make that type of sound also but worse, snug those up to 18.5 foot pounds I think it is (which really isn't all that tight) and maybe check the intake to make sure it's seated.

If that's not it... BUT it does go down with the engine speed... Honestly I'm not sure other than a gear inside the engine...

By now, you should have had your valve adjustment done. Make sure the air-box didn't come lose now. It does from the vibrations now and again. I put it on my 'check monthly' list along with the exhaust bolts.

Just a thought.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Does your bike have crash bars? Highway pegs? Occasionally, an oscillation can occur if the pegs are not tight enough, creating a whining sound.

For that matter, anything loose could cause it.
tantasquit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default High pitched Whine?

Is she riding with you?

2007 HD Road King
Pavogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Whine

I have that same whine and it goes away when I ride solo.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.