Stator and voltage regulator replacement parts?? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stator and voltage regulator replacement parts??

From what I hear on this board, it's just a matter of time before my stator goes out and Honda does not always keep them in stock. So, I was going to buy one ahead of time so I had it on hand.

Q1: Do I need to replace the voltage regulator when I replace my stator?

Q2: Should I buy a genuine honda stator or is there a 'better" replacement part? URL and part number if you have it.

Q3: I've heard of folks bypassing either the stator or voltage regulator. Any thoughts on this? (edit: soldering the connector between the two. apparently this is a weak point)

2009 Stratoliner (mine), 2008 Stratoliner (hers), 2010 Harley Rocker, 2002 Honda VLX
Steve-O
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have had good results with the electrosport stator and r/r - I wouldn't stock either part until it was needed - and you should get some warning- poorly charging battery etc

Also you will NEED to order a couple of gaskets and a seal - so either way you will be in a wait mode for those parts - that may never be needed.

I would do the following to prevent having to do any of the above.

1. Install a good voltmeter so you can monitor (while riding) and baseline voltages - you will then know if or when the charging system is getting weak.

2. Cut out the factory Stator to RR connector NOW before it burns up, and solder the wires together.

3. Install a good maintenance free batttery - lose the wet/refillable battery. On the VN-750s a battery going bad 'apparently' is the down fall of the charging system so it's highly recommended to keep a good maintenance free battery installed.
Cbjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Great minds must think alike Steve. I've been pondering this very question.

My T-battery that I bought last year is not maintaining a charge on it. I have to plug it in the trickle charger ever other night so I can keep driving it. I'm not sure if it's the battery, or the stator that is getting week.

I already cut out the connector, and I've actually removed the stator on the bike many times thanks to a pesky oil leak.

I plan on replacing the battery with an AGM one, and if that then acts the same way, then I'll know that a new stator is needed. In which case I will need the information that Steve asked for in this thread!

Speak up y'all!
Old 07-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think I'm at the pont where I will need to replace the stator on my bike. Someone posted a link to a variety of manuals so I downloaded the manual for the 83 - 83 Shadow and wouldn't you know it - it has a page missing and it's the page on removing the stator. I guess you get what you pay for.

Can anyone give me a heads up as to what else I'm going to need besides the new stator? I know there's a gasket. Someone mentioned a seal. Is there anything to be aware of when removing/replacing gaskets? Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks

Gary

[/img]
85 Shadow 750 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

1) I tend to replace them both at the same time ( Stator and Reg/Rect unit) and solder the wires. I don't want to risk my new part if it is mated to a bad or marginal unit.

2) I have talked to several pros about the aftermarket stators, and they tell me use the factory one unless you plan on selling the bike. I will have to try an aftermarket unit if mine fails and do a long term test. Ask some local mechanics in your area that you trust.

I have had great service from a Ricks starter.

3) By passing them means no charging of the battery, is that what you are asking?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Soldering the connector between the two. apparently this is a weak point. I couldn't recall what the straight wiring was for, but got it answered above. thanks.

2009 Stratoliner (mine), 2008 Stratoliner (hers), 2010 Harley Rocker, 2002 Honda VLX
Steve-O
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Lets try #3 again (lol)
The plug between the stator and reg/rect unit has caused more failures of the charging system on many bikes. I have personally had it happen on a Harley (1986 FXRP), a Honda (1982 GL1100A), and a Kawasaki (1992 VN1500). Soldering the wires gives you a solid corrosion free electrical connection that wont single-phase ( which melts the stator ).

Check your plug, if it is melted or corroded, solder the wires. If it looks like new put some dielectric grease in the plug to prevent corrosion.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Txtim and 85 shadow,
Before you blame the stator for not charging, check the whole charging system out by using the tests in the service manual and make sure your battery is good and the post connections are clean.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Go here and do the tests and you will know for sure what's wrong:
http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ng-diagram.pdf

And for what's it's worth i beleive Rick and Electrosport get there stators from the same place,,at least they both look the same useing that bright blue epoxy and pig tail lay out.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Cbjr's persistent advice to replace both at the same time is wise.
I learned the hard way last year by just replacing the R/R....

I just finished replacing the stator and another R/R at the same time.

Do a Search here for a thread by Gumpy.
It should be a Sticky on how to replace a stator. I printed it out and used it in conjunction with my Clymer's.

Also, if you get the stuff from electrosport, the wires they use may not be long enough, so you'll probably have no choice but to do some soldering.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.