how to see if switch is bad or turn signal relay is bad? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default how to see if switch is bad or turn signal relay is bad?

I haven't worked alot with electrics. My 1983 shadow has a weird problem of one day, the turn signals work, and the next day the turn signals don't. The bike has sat for two weeks and has not moved, so I don't know why one day they work and the next nothing.

Now when they are working I can hear the relay click on and off, but when they aren't working, the relay is silent. Now is this a switch problem or a relay problem. Is there a way I can test the relay seperate from the switch to try to alleviate the problem. I'm sure some one has explained this to me before, but I am not all that smart and need to hear it again.[/list]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

dirty switch
Old 07-31-2009, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

You can use a multimeter on the two contacts of the switch and test for continuity. If your switch is dirty then no electricity will get to the relay and it will be silent.

Easy fix: Get electrical contact cleaner, spray into the switch as best you can
Better fix: take your switch apart (if you can), get some fine sandpaper and sand away the corrosion on the contacts.

Once you have cleaned and verified the switch you can then move on testing the relay.
TorontoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeppers, JDTech is correct.

Go to Radio Shack and buy yourself a can of electrical contact cleaner spray. Next unscrew the switch housing and spray it down to clean out the old grease and dirts built up inside. Just be sure to place a cover over your gas tank since the cleaner may drip onto your tank and dammage the paint.

I made the $70 mistake of ordering a new relay first and found that it made no difference. I next cleaned the switch with a $5 can of contact cleaner and it has worked perfect ever since!

Bubba1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
You can use a multimeter on the two contacts of the switch and test for continuity. If your switch is dirty then no electricity will get to the relay and it will be silent.

Easy fix: Get electrical contact cleaner, spray into the switch as best you can
Better fix: take your switch apart (if you can), get some fine sandpaper and sand away the corrosion on the contacts.

Once you have cleaned and verified the switch you can then move on testing the relay.
Would this be placing one lead of my multimeter on one side of the contact and the other lead on the other contact and seeing if voltage registers?

Also, I went out today and it was a no blinker day. I took a hammer and one tap on the relay immediately started the blinker. I am almost wondering if there was a bad contact from the wires that connect into the relay. I tried to wiggle the wires adn see if I could then make the blinkers go off, but nothing happened.

If tapping the relay causes it to start blinking, would that indicate a good switch and possibly a bad relay or bad connection into the relay?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazekajin

If tapping the relay causes it to start blinking, would that indicate a good switch and possibly a bad relay or bad connection into the relay?
if you took a hammer to that little relay you just might have scared it into working

clean the connection plugs see if that helps, some fine sandpaper will work or steal wool

if not you just might have a weird relay and need a new one

most of the time the switch will get dirty and only work part time just before
it stops working either way cleaning the switch will never hurt it
Advertisement