1100 shadow head gasket problem - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1100 shadow head gasket problem

Has anyone out there had a head gasket problem with their 1100?

I have a 2002 shadow saber with 25000 miles. It gets hot and the temp
light comes on in town, but I can cruise the highway for hours no
problems. It pushes coolant out the over flow tank. the cooling fan
works fine. I going to put a new T- stat in on Monday but I think it has
a blown head gasket.
busa1957 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Head gasket

If you had a blown head gasket you would be losing coolant. Maybe your fan switch doesn't close at the right temp or you're low on coolant. Also check to make sure your radiator isn't full of debre.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 02:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

The fan staying on won't make it over heat, fill the Radiator and leave the cap off, start it and watch the filler and see if bubbles start showing up, you should be seeing steam out the back when running, if it's a slight leak you can look at the plugs, one will be real clean compared to the others.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: 1100 shadow head gasket problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by busa1957
It pushes coolant out the over flow tank. the cooling fan works fine. I going to put a new T- stat in on Monday but I think it has a blown head gasket.
I doubt it seriously. If you had a leaking head gasket, there would be other symptoms.

Part of the cooling fan "working fine" is coming on at the right temperature.

While you have it apart to change the stat, I'd change the pressure cap AND the fan switch and the coolant too......then flush out the outside of the radiator just for good measure.

I'd bet my next paycheck that will solve your problem.......but that ain't worth much since I'm retired.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Never heard of a head gasket problem on these bikes with alot more mileag ethan yours. If leaking as stated, you would see some steam coming out the exhaust....The problem when found, will be simple.

Gonz

When does it end? It doesn't....it's a Vicious Cycle!!
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default may need to purge your radiator

If you have replaced you coolant recently you may need to purge the bubbles out of the system. If you havent done anything with the coolant then you may need to check your pump weep hole. It may be dripping which means you need to rebuild your pump.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Re: 1100 shadow head gasket problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by busa1957
It pushes coolant out the over flow tank. the cooling fan works fine. I going to put a new T- stat in on Monday but I think it has a blown head gasket.
I doubt it seriously. If you had a leaking head gasket, there would be other symptoms.

Part of the cooling fan "working fine" is coming on at the right temperature.

While you have it apart to change the stat, I'd change the pressure cap AND the fan switch and the coolant too......then flush out the outside of the radiator just for good measure.

I'd bet my next paycheck that will solve your problem.......but that ain't worth much since I'm retired.
What ER2 says - but I have heard of this problem MANY times caused by a faulty pressure cap - -do the fill and burp then put on the new cap before messing the a t-stat. Might save yourself some aggravation and money.
Cbjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

If the symptoms remain after changing your thermostat you might want to check the water pump.
I say this because you say it maintains a fairly normal temperature at highway speeds... Most of our engines have cooling fins on them and they do provide some auxiliary cooling however much that is.
If there was a head gasket leak one symptom would be white steam/smoke from the exhaust, but not necessarily. Try checking your oil, if it has a milky/whitish tint to it then you definitely have a head gasket issue. It is also possible that the head gasket is leaking just enough that it is not allowing oil and coolant to mix but enough that cylinder pressures are being vented into the cooling system through the hole in the gasket. I have seen this happen countless times on cars. You will be able to confirm this possibility with a cooling system pressure checker. Most decent garages will have one handy. It simply attaches to the radiator like the cap does and they pump the system up to it's normal operating pressure. If the pressure leaks down too fast then you have a problem.

oh... and I'm brand new to the site so hi all!

*edited for spelling*
hlfahemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

you might want to check the water pump.
=========================================
Last resort,,Ya gotta pull the engine to get to it
Old 08-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW 1100T
you might want to check the water pump.
=========================================
Last resort,,Ya gotta pull the engine to get to it
Nothing much on the pump to go bad - leaking is the end of the line for these pumps - at least I have never heard of one going bad other than the shaft seal leaking.
Cbjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.