Batwing Fairing for 1100 Shadow Spirit - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Batwing Fairing for 1100 Shadow Spirit

Hey all...
I know this has been discussed on here before but it seems never with a definitive answer. Has anyone fit a batwing fairing (HD, Memphis, or any other brand) to a 1100 Spirit? If so, did you have to modify the mounting hardware? I was looking at the Memphis application for the Sabre and it looks it takes the same trigger lock mounting hardware as the Fats/Slims windshield, so I wonder if the same thing would apply to the Spirit Trigger lock hardware. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

Greg!
GREGMCKEE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am wondering the same thing for my '06 1100 Spirit. I did a search on here and some people went with a Harley batwing which I think looks really good. I currently have a MS Fats on mine and am trying to get in contact with MS CS to talk with them about batwing options. I am hoping to get to use the existing mounts but that will probably be a no-go.

Ride bell by Rick-G.
2006 1100 Spirit (happily being ridden)
2002 750 Spirit (sold)
Yamaha Virago 535 (sold)
10mm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

You can add me to the list that wants to know.

Rick PGR
2005 1100 Spirit
CPTRICK3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

yes a few have on the 1100 . adapting / fabbing brackets isn't to hard to do . I have an HD batwing on my 750 .

Ride Bell by docc30
My Bike Album http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee302/Macgyver0856/
Macgyver0856 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver0856
yes a few have on the 1100 . adapting / fabbing brackets isn't to hard to do . I have an HD batwing on my 750 .
Which HD model batwing do you have on your 750 Macgyver? I notice on Ebay there are models for road kings and other HD's.

Ride bell by Rick-G.
2002 750 Spirit (sold)
Yamaha Virago 535 (sold)
Old 11-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a 1976 batwing from a FLH. IMO that's the easiest to fab brackets for , if you find one with all the stock brackets with it . A few people have the newer style batwings with the inner and outer shells. (I think Gonzo's is like that) they'll take a bit more effort to fab brackets / mounts for .

my upper brackets I made from 3/16" diamond plate and bolted them to the upper tree similar to how my old MS fats windshield bracket was attached. I used a 3" x 1/4" x 20 bolt and a tube spacer.

since I was removing the stock turn signals and using an HD light bar,I used a 3/4" square tube for the lower bracket , a couple small "L" brackets and two brackets that came from a set of fender mounted mirrors ( old style trailer mirrors for cars that mounted on the fenders, the fender end bracket was "Z" shaped and worked perfectly to mount to the old turn signal bolts.)

Ride Bell by docc30
Old 11-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

this one has all the brackets. etc.. a bit pricey though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vinta...item1e594c736b

Ride Bell by docc30
Old 12-04-2009, 03:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have a '02 Spirit 1100 with a '80 HD FLH batwing... I used my Memphis Fats shield folk brackets and had to make the batwing fairing L shaped brackets alittle longer..... I moved the blinkers down below the triple tree mounts... Also have the HD light bar mounted as well and HD windshield 3 pouch mounted... My batwing fairing is just the outer stage -- Gonz has the inner & outer setup....

Here's a write up & pics I did sometimes back:

Hey canadianshadowrider, I added a '80 FLH HD Batwing Fairing to our '02 Spirit. I was looking for more protection for my hands and less air/draft behind the windshield for cooler/colder rides.

Here's a previous write-up I did:

Our fairing is a '80 HD FLH Batwing fairing, it bolts to the forks. Other models have an inner & outer Batwing fairing pieces and bolt on different from the FLH model. I had to make the fairing brackets a little longer cuz the HD's have wider forks span (ACE hardware store had the metal strips needed to make the brackets). I used the fork brackets from our Memphis Fats windshield. There's 4 mounting brackets to hold the fairing as the Memphis Fats windshield. I had to notch the right side windshield to clear the front brake reservoir. I also had to move the blinkers down below the bottom triple tree holder. It's a one-man job but it is easier with two person's - I did it by myself.

I dry fitted everything before I had it painted -- makes the job alot easier. Once painted you don't want to screw it up.

I looked on e-Bay for 6 months for a decent Batwing fairing & pricing as well. I bought ours at our local HD restorer, East Bay HD. So you might want to check around older HD shops/salvage yards. It looked very dirty from sitting yrs in the back of the shop but was clean from cracks and fiberglass didn't have any stress markings.

Try to get all the brackets (fork mountings and windshield brace) when buying the fairing sometimes you can find them cheap and sometimes not!!!

I had been looking for a yr to convert from the Memphis shield due to the shield wasn't giving enough protection from the cold air and my hands were exposed to flying objects. The buffering was annoying too - even with lowers too.

I love the ride now.... No buffering, hands are behind the batwings, 80-90% of the air draft is removed from the driver area and I feel alot more protected with the batwing fairing now. I just bought a flip-up full helmet and can ride with it flipped up w/o no problems. I wish I had done is sooner. I just didn't like the Memphis shield -- I guess age is dictating my riding habits now......hahaha!!!

I added a HD windshield 3 pocket holder and it's great for holding keys, cigs, and glasses and etc.....

I added spotlights ... The spot lights makes a different from the sorry dim low beam the Spirits have....

Any questions -- ask away...

Mike
vwfarm

Costs:

$ 30.00 ..... used '80 HD FLH Batwing fairing
$150.00 ..... Paint (glossy black with clear coat) local paint shop
$ 5.00 ..... metal strip from ACE hardware store
$ 75.00 ..... windshield & windshield brace (e-Bay)
$ 70.00 ..... Windshield 3 pocket holder (optional but worth it)
$ 22.00 ..... HD FLH Driving light bar (optional but worth it)
$ 72.00 ..... Spot lights (e-Bay) (optional but worth it)
--------------
$ Priceless $ ($424.00)

Some Pics:
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...Spirit%201100/

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...ing%20Fairing/

vwfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the write-up VWFarm; you have a sweet looking setup there!

Ride bell by Rick-G.
2002 750 Spirit (sold)
Yamaha Virago 535 (sold)
Old 12-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

i have the ms batwing for the sabre on my shadow 1100(spirit) the brackets do not mount to the spirit triple tree! you must make L brackets and mount off the riser nuts and the lower to the headlight mount studs! that is how i did it! click link to see!
ohiospirit1100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.