How to remove 2006 Shadow Aero battery - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to remove 2006 Shadow Aero battery

I've searched the forums for almost 30 minutes and can't find any posts related to this. If it's in here somewhere, can someone post a link?

I have the seat off but I don't know if it's okay to unplug the wires,etc. I can't find the manual that came with the bike so, before I electrocute myself, I thought I should reach out to the experts.

Thanks for your help...as always.

2006 Aero Candy Orange/Black
mocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just make sure you disconnect the NEGATIVE cable first. Than the Pos.
That's the safest way to remove the battery

Ride fast and take chances... uhh, I mean... ride safe.
Patriot Guard Riders
750Ace of Clubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

But there's a big plug on top of the battery containing a bunch of wires. It looks like it's attached to some sort of plastic plate that looks like it slips into a slot on the battery itself. Do I unplug it? Slide it out?

Old 09-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Ace of Clubs
Just make sure you disconnect the NEGATIVE cable first. Than the Pos.
That's the safest way to remove the battery
I believe I'm supposed to remove the negative first then the ground (+)

Old 09-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
What?
Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt17
Quote:
What?
The Negative IS the ground "-".

Electricity flows from the "+" to the "-" so if you disconnect the "-" it has nowhere to go, therefore there will be no spitzensparks or poppenzefuzens.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocean
The negative (black) cable IS the ground. The red one (+) is the HOT one.

My guess by looking at the picture is that you remove that single screw at the top. Then the black plate under the connector.......with connector still attached.....slides back a tiny bit and the lifts up and out of the way......well mostly out of the way.

THEN you should be able to see the battery posts ......where you will disconnect the black, negative, ground one first.....and secure it out of the way before working on the red, positive, HOT post.

If you don't hit both posts at the same time with a metal tool, the odds of making sparks is about nil.

P.S. Be sure the new battery is fully charged BEFORE you install it in the bike. If it came with instructions, you probably should READ them !!
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt17
Quote:
What?
The Negative IS the ground "-".

Electricity flows from the "+" to the "-" so if you disconnect the "-" it has nowhere to go, therefore there will be no spitzensparks or poppenzefuzens.
I'll probably electrocute myself. Yes, neg (black) first, then red, pos. When I connect them back up, red first then black.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2
Quote:

My guess by looking at the picture is that you remove that single screw at the top. Then the black plate under the connector.......with connector still attached.....slides back a tiny bit and the lifts up and out of the way......well mostly out of the way.

THEN you should be able to see the battery posts ......where you will disconnect the black, negative, ground one first.....and secure it out of the way before working on the red, positive, HOT post.

If you don't hit both posts at the same time with a metal tool, the odds of making sparks is about nil.

P.S. Be sure the new battery is fully charged BEFORE you install it in the bike. If it came with instructions, you probably should READ them !!
Sheesh... I hooked the battery (yuasa agm) up to a trickle charger. It was registering way in the green, but I'm charging it anyway. After 5 hours, it's still charging. The guy at the motorcycle shop told me to charge it at 2 amps, not 12. He also said to charge it for 3 hours. Even though it's still charging, do you think it's enough?

Also, how do I secure the black connector? It can't touch metal, so how do I keep it out of the way and still keep it away from the frame?

I really want to do this myself. I do a lot of things myself, but electrical always scared me.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2
Quote:

Sheesh... I hooked the battery (yuasa agm) up to a trickle charger. It was registering way in the green, but I'm charging it anyway. After 5 hours, it's still charging. The guy at the motorcycle shop told me to charge it at 2 amps, not 12. He also said to charge it for 3 hours. Even though it's still charging, do you think it's enough?

Also, how do I secure the black connector? It can't touch metal, so how do I keep it out of the way and still keep it away from the frame?

I really want to do this myself. I do a lot of things myself, but electrical always scared me.
If you're talking about securing the black connector ("-" or negative battery cable) after removing it from the battery, don't worry. It isn't connected to anything that carries current once it's disconnected from the battery. If you happen to touch it to the frame while it's disconnected it only means that both ends of the wire would then be touching the frame.
Advertisement