Honda Shadow Forums banner

Hesitation/backfire after stator replacement?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jasmine42 
#1 ·
I've spent the past few days reading all of the posts I can on hesitation/carbs/etc and I'm working my way down the list. I'm not one to beleive in coincidence, so I'm hoping to determine if I did something when replacing my stator that could have caused this issue.

Here's what I'm seeing on my 84 vt700c:

Before working on the bike I had no hesitation issues, but now I have hesitation in all gears around 3,000 RPM. I have tried adjusting the pilot screws and it hasn't solved the issue but has changed what RPM where I see the issue. I've gone from 2-4 turns. 2 turns lowers the RPM where it hesitates, 4 turns raises the RPM where it hesitates. I'm not opposed to going out past 4 turns, but that whole coincidence thing is what is bothering me. The bike idles well, but I think the hesistation is there at a higher RMP than when there is load on the bike from being in gear.

The work I did included:
- replacing the stator (there is a small oil leak after shuttting down, which I'll fix shortly). The new stator is working well and I see good voltage to the battery (possibly a little high - ~14v @ idle)

- fixed a frayed wire on one of the pulse generators (both pipes get hot so I'm pretty sure all plugs are firing)

- fixed an electrical short that was blowing the light/meter fuse (The previous owner used one of those lock nuts with built in notched washer and my shoulder bumped into a front light while working on the stator and it cut into the wires.)

- the clutch slave insulator broke when being removed. I have a new one on order but I was able to temporarily reinstall 70% of the original. The slave seats properly. The insulator isn't a gasket and this doesn't seem like someplace I need to worry about air flow??

- Also since all of this, the nuetral indicator comes on when I pull in the clutch. I'm assuming the diode blew when I had the electrical issue.

- I've run without an air filter

- I've installed new plugs (yes all 4 :) )

- I haven't found any vacuum leaks yet, but I'm still looking.

- I'll be checking the fuel filter next and getting some carb cleaner and/or seafaom

- I bought the bike from a reputable local guy who buys/sells bikes and parts. He said the carbs were cleaned while he had it, and I'm inclined to beleive him.

I'm willing to go down whatever path is necessary, I'm just trying to figure out what makes the most sense given when the issue started.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
psklodow said:
I'm willing to go down whatever path is necessary, I'm just trying to figure out what makes the most sense given when the issue started.
Just a couple of thoughts:

Are you doing these recent "tests" with the air cleaner off all the time? If so, put it back ON.

Often after having charging system trouble, the battery needs to be changed too.

14 V at idle does seem a bit high. Lots of folks change the regulator/rectifier out when replacing the stator, some because it needs it and some just for "good measure".

A dose of carb cleaner certainly shouldn't hurt anything....and might help.

Good luck!

#3 ·
carbs

I too have a vt 700 when you take the gas tank off and let it run the sink screw is in the middle between the carbs, turn it so you get good results there is also two little pinholes in the throats of each carb at the butterflies you have to just see them for sink and then tinker a little so maybe that might be it to save you some $ if thats the problem good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.