slight backfire when letting off gas - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default slight backfire when letting off gas

I bought my bike with used with cobra pipes on it. sometimes when I let off the gas it makes a slight backfire sound. nothing major just a little bit. is that normal or is there something that can fix that?
djdanko1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

normal

President, V-Twin Cruisers MC Springfield Ohio Chapter
Patriot Guard Rider 163818
Ride bell by Kara
schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

some guy on another forum said to adjust my A/F mixture. but if its normal I would rather not mess with it! I dont know anything about it... Thanks a lot!
Old 10-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: slight backfire when letting off gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdanko1
I bought my bike with used with cobra pipes on it. sometimes when I let off the gas it makes a slight backfire sound. nothing major just a little bit. is that normal or is there something that can fix that?
I used to get that when I had my idle set too low.
Try adjusting the idle up just a tad and see what happens.
Phil

1973 Yamaha RD-350

Sterling Heights, Michigan
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
is that normal or is there something that can fix that?
Yes and yes.

You would get better advice on how to "fix" it if we knew what year and model bike you have !!
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

This is a little more info than you gave on the post about the air filter. I believe if you've got a little backfiring on your coast, you may be running a little lean. That K&N filter might have a little something to do with that. It'll flow more air, which requires a little more fuel. Most cases it's not enough to matter, but if yours was already a little on the lean side, and then you leaned it up a little more with the filter, could be time for a re-jetting. Was it like that before the filter change?

' - - '97 VT1100C1 Spirit - -
fbnewell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes.. It does it the same amount with the new filter
Old 10-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oh wow ok I just responded to the other post about this (popcorn popper). Any way to merge the two topics?

1986 Honda VT700C Shadow
Lambo_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
The simple fix for this condition is to back out the carb pilot screws until the problem stops. Usually 1-2 turns. Howeve the pilot screws have a metal cover over them thanks to Uncle Sam, and these caps will need to be drilled or removed to access the adjustments screws.

You can drill these pilot screw caps with a 5/32 drill bit, then use a mini screw driver to adjust the screws. Some folks like to remove the caps after drilling them however, then they have to find something like silicone to cover up the pilot screws after adjusting them so they won't vibrate completely out while riding down the road. I preferred to keep my drilled caps in place to safely keep the pilot screws from ever falling out.

Bubba1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.