Coolant Change - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Coolant Change

Hi, I'm new to this forum and hope to contribute and use much of the info. on this forum. Now.... I have a 2001 Shadow ACE and I want to change the coolant. Any tips on doing this? How can flush the engine? Do I have to use Honda coolant? Any help would be greatly appreciated? Thanks, JGP1954
JGP1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Changing your coolant is pretty easy. Put the bike on the side stand. The coolant system is designed to use the angle of the side stand to keep the air bubbles out.

Pop the radiator cap, and remove the drain bolt, which is the lowest bolt on the water pump itself. When that's drained out, just flush it a bit with the garden hose.

Replace the drain bolt.

Remove the cover from the overflow bottle and use a turkey baster with a hose taped to it to remove the old coolant from that bottle. Remember that coolant is usually toxic, so best not to use your wife's cooking baster.

You have to silicate/phosphate-free coolant. You can use the Honda pre-mixed stuff, but the Prestone "Mix with any color" Extended Life coolant will fit the bill (and your wallet) just as well. If you have to mix your coolant of choice with water, be sure to use only distilled water. Regular tap water can cause you trouble down the road.

It should hold about 2 quarts of coolant. Fill it right to the top of the filler neck, and leave the cap off. Now start the engine and blip the throttle a few times and shut it off. You don't want the engine to heat up, but you do want the flow of fluid to knock any air bubbles free. Top the radiator off again if it settled a bit while running the engine. Replace the radiator cap.

Now fill the overflow bottle to between the Min and Max lines, replace the cap, and you're done!

Be sure to dispose of your old coolant in a proper manner, since it's is toxic and animals like to eat it because it testes sweet.

Hope this helps!

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubes_rock
Now fill the overflow bottle to between the Min and Max lines, replace the cap, and you're done!
P.S. Check the level in the overflow bottle after the next couple rides (after it has cooled off, that is). Despite your best efforts, some air will probably remain and a slight "top off" might be needed.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Right, some air will continue to escape for a while.

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Maybe you know this, maybe not
-------------------------------------------------
Pop the radiator cap
============================
It's under the right side cover by the steering head
----------------------------------------------------------
when you do this fill the baster and then squeeze it back in to stir up the sediment on the bottom.
--------------------------------------------------------
=====================================
While you doing this it's a very good idea to check the return hose from the radiator, if it has a air leak it won't function as it should, the coolant won't return to the overflow container, look real close where the clamps are, if there's any doubt replace it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
animals like to eat it because it testes sweet
===================================
And it can/will kill them
Old 11-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Coolant Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW 1100T
Maybe you know this, maybe not
-------------------------------------------------
Pop the radiator cap
============================
It's under the right side cover by the steering head
----------------------------------------------------------
when you do this fill the baster and then squeeze it back in to stir up the sediment on the bottom.
--------------------------------------------------------
=====================================
While you doing this it's a very good idea to check the return hose from the radiator, if it has a air leak it won't function as it should, the coolant won't return to the overflow container, look real close where the clamps are, if there's any doubt replace it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
animals like to eat it because it testes sweet
===================================
And it can/will kill them
I'd like everyone for their info. regarding the coolant change. But I'm still having trouble finding things. Yesterday, I looked for the radiator cap, couldn't find it, unless I had to take apart the radiator shroud. I think I need a drawing, diagram or something of the engine, etc. Possibly, something downloaded from the repair manual. This way, any future maintenance issues could be addressed. Thanks, JGP1954.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

You have to pull the gas tank, take the right side panel up front by the steering head off (unscrew the 2 plastic screws and pull the screw plugs out, under that panel is the cap. Follow the overflow tube to the over flow tank.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Re: Coolant Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGP1954
Hi, I'm new to this forum and hope to contribute and use much of the info. on this forum. Now.... I have a 2001 Shadow ACE and I want to change the coolant. Any tips on doing this? How can flush the engine? Do I have to use Honda coolant? Any help would be greatly appreciated? Thanks, JGP1954

Try this......

http://www.750ace.com/task_33.phtml
Old 12-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Location: SW Georgia. Between Americus & Buena Vista - Ellaville and Plains

Thanks vito, I needed that link...
"Captain D" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Coolant Change

I'd like to thank Vito and everyone else, who helped me with the coolant change. The info. was very valuable. By the way, you don't have to remove the gas tank. Just have plastic tubing available that fits onto a funnel for refill. And, tubing that fits a turkey baster for removing coolant and flush water from the overflow tank. Watch out you don't snap off the plastic locating plugs that attach the plastic covers that hide the radiator cap, I did. I siliconed the plug back on, hope it holds! Again, thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement