VT1100 Backfire - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default VT1100 Backfire

Hi guys, me again. I've been tinkering with the bike and found that the air/fuel mixture screw on the right hand (brake side) of the bike doesn't affect the running of the bike at all. If I screw the one on the left side (clutch side) the bike will die but with it idling I can screw the right side screw all the way in or out and it does nothing. The bike still backfires on deceleration and now it does the same on acceleration. I have sync'd the carbs and tried setting mixture screws at 3.25 turns each (i have aftermarket Vance & Hines exhaust) Even when the right side screw is all the way in it appears the front cylinder still fires after you turn the throttle a little way. it doesn't appear to be firing at idle.
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

My '86 VT1100 had the same problem with backfiring on deceleration. I tried cleaning the carbs, adjusting the pilot screws, synched the carbs...still popped like a bugger.

Decided my best bet was to tear the carbs down a second time and give them a once-over again. During the process, I opened up the air cut-off valve and the rubber diaphragm fell out in pieces.

Did a little research and found out this valve closes the slow jet passageway when you snap the throttle shut. Long story short, I got a replacement (ebay - no longer available from Honda).....viola! Hasn't backfired since.
turntailandrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Looks to me like you need to clean the carbs.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
JN

When you installed the Exhaust did you get a Jet kit for the carb? Or adjust the Air filter box at all? maybe even ad a K&N.

Sounds to me like your just running lean and need more gas. Some bikes you can get away with just adjusting hte mixture screw but its best to upgrade the jets as well. You need to make the (air in, gas, and air out all equal in a way) Max performance.

1997 VT1100C HondaShadowSpirit(Daily Driver)
1978 Honda xl125(Ranch Rider)
JN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntailandrunn
My '86 VT1100 had the same problem with backfiring on deceleration. I tried cleaning the carbs, adjusting the pilot screws, synched the carbs...still popped like a bugger.

Decided my best bet was to tear the carbs down a second time and give them a once-over again. During the process, I opened up the air cut-off valve and the rubber diaphragm fell out in pieces.

Did a little research and found out this valve closes the slow jet passageway when you snap the throttle shut. Long story short, I got a replacement (ebay - no longer available from Honda).....viola! Hasn't backfired since.
Congratulations on find, that the air valve was the culprit. For some reason it seems that most everyone on here either plays down that possibility or acts like they don't exist. It's assumed the problem is the pilot screw adjustment or the carbs are dirty

Of course that all changes when stock exhaust are removed.

Star Raider XV19CYS

Retired ANG 1 AUG 2010
22 Years
Rick-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement