Cleaning up Engine - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default Another new member saying thanks:)

I've been looking the website over for the last ten days and have picked up lots of info. I bought my Spirit last Friday, and it has not been cranked in 4 years. Got a Clymer manual in on Monday, order a front tire today. The bike only has 2220 miles on it.

I'm going to pull the carbs an soak'em. I liked the manometer wright up, it my be useful. Figured I'd pull the plugs and shoot a mist of Marvels Mystry oil in, put her in second and roll her through a few cycles before even thinking about firing her up.

She still has the break in oil in her. I'll change those out also before firing. I'll try a trickly charge on the battery, but a new one is not out of the question.

This will be my first foot forward bike. I've had 2 Triumph T150V 750 Tridents and still have a sweet 1973 T140V Triumph Bonneville. I have it set up more like a Cafe' racer, feet behind and right hand shifter.

I was looking for something to ride back and forth to work, 75 miles round trip, mostly Interstate. From this sight it sounds like thats what this bike does best.

Ride: 1997 1100 Shadow Spirit

In Process: 1973 Triumph Bonneville T140V
icardjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

if the its all aluminum and not just coated, ammonia will work! itll break down any corrosion and then it can be sanded with an extremely fine none abrasive pad ( like a scotch pad type deal) to get that corrosion off. at this point itll easily come off! at that point you can take a " mothers" polish brush and polish the aluminum back to a polish! I have used this method before on aluminum and it breaks down the corrison very well!! no guarantees but worth a shot if you dont mind sparing the effort!
carbonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:55 AM   #23 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by famerbeen View Post
But there are many other malware brats and they constantly reprogram to get around the protection the anti-malware people like McAfee create, and this particular one might have been one of those newer ones. These malware packages do their damnest to block access to anti-malware websites and your use of the CD/DVD drive or the USB ports.
Huh?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #24 (permalink)

The best thing to keep it shiny and get to the pits is to use a small Dremel and polishing the end of high grade, you may need a few but that is because I use my crankcase, because it is stripped out.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #25 (permalink)

In addition to my fear of clear coats yellowing due to sunlight over time...

I recall hearing that paint adhesion to polished surfaces is poor - is this true?
Homeskillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeskillet View Post
In addition to my fear of clear coats yellowing due to sunlight over time...

I recall hearing that paint adhesion to polished surfaces is poor - is this true?
Depends on the quality of the material used to coat polished surfaces. I used this place to polish my front rim to a mirror shine, and the FAQ provides a little info regarding your question:

Automated Wheel - FAQ

Please note that this applies to their wheel-coating process, but the same would hold true for engines, should you go that route. A company is only as good as their customer testimonials or repeat business. Reputable company = repeat business = happy customers. There are quite a few companies nationwide that do engine polishing and coating (can get quite expensive) and/or chroming. Do a Goggle search and you will see what I mean.

markspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:22 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txironhead View Post
If you decided to go for the blackout look, or if you want a little more detail, you can sand the cylinder fins lightly with the 600 grit until the bare metal shows through. I like starting with the 600 and going finer until I hit 1500 or 2000 grit, but it's up to you.
Are you supposed to follow up with a clear coat after you sand off the fins? Was there a consensus on which hi temp clear coat is best for engine aluminum?

Help keep me motivated on my rebuild "http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-...ml#post2633826"
Science.Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinny View Post
WD-40 wiped on with a rag or a few quick passes with a propane torch will also bring back faded black plastic parts

Heat guns are nice for that too. Just redid my toolbox. Here's a video of it being done on car plastics.

mikeshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #29 (permalink)

Default Changing the oil on my 750

Just wanted to know the best oil to use on my 750. Thi is the first time I will be changing it myself. I'm tired of the dealer charging me $75 for a oil change. Yeah thats right... I was charged $75 for a stinking oil change at Redline MotorSports in Myrtle Beach SC.
I bought the bike there and they were really good but money is tight right now and if I can do it myself for a lot less... I'm doing it.
smcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #30 (permalink)

just to add another method. Steel wool #00 to rip the clear then follow with#000 and #0000 to polish. using brasso with it will get the oxidation off. this method requires about 40 gallons of elbow grease. the #000 gets a nice shine with a shallow reflection if that's all you want.
and do we have a consensus on which cheap clear paint is best because I'm close to the paint stage for the cases (still need to do the top).

Blacksmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement