Honda Shadow Forums banner

stock carb seting - mixture screw Shadow Spirit

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Easy Rider 2 
#1 ·
While I work out the process for modifying (or at least attempting to modify) the baffles for the cobra slip ons - I'll be putting the stock mufflers back on the bike -
The bike was rejeted by the prev. owner (at least I hope so - seems to run OK with the cobras)

the question is does anyone know what the stock setting for the mixture screw is - I'm thinking that I'm going to have to lean the bike out a bit with the stock mufflers back on.

anyone got experience going "back to stock?" any hints would be great.

#2 ·
MustGoFaster said:
The bike was rejeted by the prev. owner (at least I hope so - seems to run OK with the cobras)

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to lean the bike out a bit with the stock mufflers back on.
Maybe not. It is often not necessary when you change only the pipes.
Does it still have the stock air box and filter ?
Any chance you could ASK the previous owner ?

Even if it DID have the jets changed, the factory ones are SOOOO lean that you might still be OK.

#4 ·
Should have been a little more clear - I did talk with the previous owner about the aftermarket stuff. However - the original owner of the bike is the one how did the mods. I'm the 3rd owner. and so what has been done to the carbs is lost information. The only obvious clue if things were done right is that the adjustment screws have been exposed, and the bike starts and runs well. I guess in part, I'm assuming that the jets were done.

the bike still has the stock airbox, and the stock filter (at least for another week until the K&N shows up)

I haven't got many miles on the bike myself to judge the carb settings, The plugs were pretty carboned up but not the worst I'd seen- but the bike had been run in blow zero temps multiple times and I attribute that to having to run with full choke for extended periods. I just replaced the plugs before my first ride - and have yet to check on them since that ride.

#5 ·
MustGoFaster said:
the bike still has the stock airbox, and the stock filter (at least for another week until the K&N shows up)
OK....I'm gonna try this one more time.....but will save a copy this time incase the server shoots craps again......... :evil:

I strongly suggest that you NOT switch to the K&N until after you get the pipes on that you intend to keep......and ride that way for a while.

If it is a little rich, the K&N might go fine. If it is NOT a little rich, the K&N may make it too lean and require a re-jet.

Why do you want the K&N in the first place ??
Many new riders don't understand that most of the "advantages" are largely just marketing hype.

#6 ·
Easy Rider 2 - you make a logical point, and one that I am familiar with from some of my car days.

Based on the plugs so far, I think it is running a bit rich, the plugs were pretty fouled when I pulled them. However- I am still trying to determine if it was due to carb settings or extended running in super cold temps.

But you bring me to a question - is there evidence that K&N with a stock exhaust tends to run lean?

Either way, I needed a new air filter - the one that's in there now is shot. But I see you r point - I'd hate to lean the thing out too much and trash something. for the price of it I can pick up one of the OEM knockoff filters and run that with the stock mufflers for a time.

the whole project with the cobra slip ons might turn out to be a bust. I'm committed to doing it more to see if I can make something work than any real benefit. Right now I dislike the way it sounds - but I love the look of the slash cuts. If it fails - worst case scenerio, I'm out a few bucks for parts - if it works - then I've got a good story.

#7 ·
MustGoFaster said:
But you bring me to a question - is there evidence that K&N with a stock exhaust tends to run lean?
Yes. And more-so with open pipes. The air filter usually has more effect than the pipes.

To see roughly what it will be like with the K&N, remove the stock filter and run a little bit without any at all (not in dusty conditions, of course).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.