Shell Rotella 5w-40 synthetic........ T6 ??? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shell Rotella 5w-40 synthetic........ T6 ???

I now see the Rotella synthetic has a T6 designation on the jug for synthetic.

Is this reformulated?

The jug I bought almost a year ago does not have T6 on it. I'm getting ready for a few things for the bike next month and oil/filter is one of them.

Less zinc etc., so just wondering. I want to continue using the Rotella synthetic since I switched to it nearly a year ago. Want to get a fresh start when some nice weather streaks break loose. Hummm...
Gnuiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

No idea, but curious as well since I will be changing mine with the same soon.

maurice

2003 vtx 1800c
maurice1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

CJ-4 rating is the main change.

the last of the regular Rotella was also but they are just making the name change to show it. (they will be using a "T" number for most of their products)

It is Still very good Oil. HOWEVER, the requirement for a CJ-4 rating is due to EGR valves and coolers, and Diesel Particulate Filters being added to all new Diesel motors. It suspends soot better. But it has a lower Shear rating. (it is not quite as good as the pre CJ-4 oils.)

BTW
in addition to my shadow, I have a 98 12 valve cummins, a 2005 excursion with a powerstroke and a 2004 Jetta TDI.
I have wasted a lot of time looking into this.

2005 Honda shadow 1100 spirit
jcdoan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Well I bought a gallon jug of the T6 stuff - now to sometime get around to changing the oil between now & sometime in May, whenever I get to it.
It says it is full synthetic base.
Energy savings - not conserving (no API note) they compare to 15-40.
Energized protection - okay, whatever...
I read somewhere online that it's shear strength is up to par.
It says it meets JASO MA, CJ-4, CJ-4 Plus and all that jazzzzz.....

Now that the weather is turning nice... I'd rather ride than work on it. But I'll have to leash down sometime before the hot weather starts to roll in and get-er-done. Done the plugs recently, so now oil/filter, final drive, air filter etc.
Gnuiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 03:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Is it ok to use this rotella 5-40 in my wifes 08 VT750C2 shadow spirit?

I have read elsewhere that it is supposed to use 10-40 and not use synthetic.

I use it with great effect in my VTX and would like to be able to use the same oil in both bikes.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
supraman762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraman762

I have read elsewhere that it is supposed to use 10-40 and not use synthetic.

I use it with great effect in my VTX and would like to be able to use the same oil in both bikes.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Some folks say not to start using synthetic in high mileage engines. Other than that, use it. The "5" in 5w-40w means it performs better at lower temps in colder climates. The "40" part is the number not to mess with because of of being watercooled. Not necessary to use 50w though some do, but I can see AZ summers beng an exception to that rule.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100
99' Valkyrie
Ride Bell by "Yoman"
h13man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraman762

Yes. It will be fine.
It should perform just as good as it does in the other bike.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

I would use synthetic, the only reason to not use it if is there is a pre-existing condition being hidden by deposits in the engine. Some rubber seals could be potential leaks if not for a deposit of varnish on the metal. But if there is no varnish synthetic oil won't do anything but provide you better wear protection.
qwertydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

So I just tried the first 40-mile run after switching to T6 on the last oil change. (Been running Mobil Delvac for years.) Biggest performance improvement I've ever seen from an oil change! Prior to this, I hardly ever noticed anything other than a little better shifting, particularly into 5th. Today the bike seemed to be smoother and more responsive, too. I'll need to rack up a few more miles to be sure but so far it is looking very good.

Besides, it will be nice to be running the same oil in my bikes AND my pickup.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.