ignition switch wiring? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 84shadow700xx
Default ignition switch wiring?

Ok bought a universal ignition switch, but now I'm not sure which wires to wire up to where. The manual doesn't help either when it comes to this. I have five wires coming from the junction (84 shadow vt700) box to the old switch; one red, one black, and three brown one with a white stripe. On the universal switch I have a start, accessory, ignition, and battery post. Also the switch is set up for accessory, off, on, start. Thanks for any help guys!!
84shadow700xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Most bike switches I have seen are simply on/off affair. The one you have seems to be set up more for an automobile. That being said, to me, would indicate all of the wires, besides the ground (black) being on the 'on' connector. The ground, I'd imagine, would be on the 'off' connector, or if there is a 'common' connector.

Do you have the instructions that came w/ the new switch? Perhaps that would assist us.

1998 Shadow ACE 750 -- KIA 11/27/09
98ACE750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Allow me to expound on my previous post. The switch positions you have are off, accessory, on, and start.

Off is, obviously, off. No current.

Accessory is when you want battery power to accessories, such as radio. Not really applicable to most motorcycles. Plus, our bikes dont have battery power to push accessories for long. If you accidentally leave the bike on, the lights will kill the batt in less than 45min.

Start is spring loaded. ie you can turn the switch to it, but it will spring back to on when you release it. Not practical for the bike. (Be interesting to run the starter switch through here. Would be original.)

On is the normal run position. You could easily use the Acc position, but the on is conveniently located at the end of the switch twist (w/o going into start) that makes it easy to find, as opposed to an intermediate position such as the Acc position.

That is why the suggestion to tie them all into the On position.

1998 Shadow ACE 750 -- KIA 11/27/09
98ACE750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

ok so i put the brown wires to the acc. the red and black i ran to the ignition and battery. When i flick it to on everything seems to work right and the bike cranks. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to wire the acewell gauge so it lights up for high beam and turn signals everything else is working, just not sure where to splice in for those components. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

ok so i was wiring the gauge to light up for high beams and turn signals but it keeps blowing the 15amp fuse in the fuse box... any ideas guys?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

ok new problem the universal ignition switch hit the frame, sparked, and now I cant get the bike to turn on... I bought a new ignition switch this time just an on off one. well I tried wiring it up and still nothing. so i guess i fried something else, but I'm not sure what it did. Does anyone have any ideas or where to look? Thanks guys.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

The 30 amp fuse strip by the battery probably blew. Next place to look would be one under the console. This is a good time to replace the fuse strip holder with a standard blade fuse and holder.
One more thing. Don't work with live electrical systems. It can get expensive and you can get burned.
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

yeah it was only live since i was turning it on to check something and well of course damn thing slips and hits the frame... i was looking for the 30amp fuse bc i checked all others but i didnt see it. thanks!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

it was the 30amp, now back to trying to wire the gauge lights

now when i try to wire the wires from the high beam indicator bulb it blows one of the 15amp fuse... also when I try wiring the turn signal indicator on the gauge from the turn signal indicator bulb it doesn't blow the fuse like the high beam, but it makes my brake running light blink... but the gauge indicators dont light up at all... ugh more electrical gremlins lol
Old 03-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sounds like a bit more planning on paper is in order. Try sketching ea. connector and the wires that go to it. The Honda wiring harness is kind of complex because it has stuff like "burned out bulb indicators". If you're wiring "by the seat of the pants", then mistakes will be made. Blinking circuits can be tough. From what I understand, the circuit has to have the right resistance or it won't blink right.
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement