Bike wont start: Still an electrical problem... - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bike wont start: Still an electrical problem...

Well I know this is a common subject, and I read up a bit but after trying a few other things still havent come up with any results. The previous owner told me that the bike fired up when he had it and that all it needed was contact (a new ignition switch) and some gas. So I pus gas in it and got a new OEM ignition switch and nothing.

I replaced the battery as the old one was putting out a good read and still nothing. I dont even get the clicking sound in the starter. I turn the switch to ON and the headlight turns on, then I hit the starter and the light cuts off and nothing. The light stays off until I let go of the starter button.

Ive never owned a bike so I dont know if the light dying is normal, but the failures would lead me to believe its a wiring issue? Ive also replaced all of the fuses in the fuse box. Could it be an issue with the other plugs under the headlight in that butterfly shaped box? They were all unplugged (and I attempted to replug them by color).

*Other details maybe worth noting: The gas tank is removed (guages are still hooked up); front wheel is off as is the master brake cylinder and brake lines; ghetto rigged regulator from previous owner.
Isaiah 40:28-31
Strength in the Lord.
JFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

How long did you charge the new battery? It may need to sit on a good charger overnight to get use out of it. The headlight is supposed to go out when you press start. (It saves precious electricity for starting.)
Be sure about the plugs you had to connect. Sounds a bit fishy that they were left unplugged. You may need to do some electrical trouble shooting. You need a manual. Here is a free download.
http://www.carlsalter.com/download.a...08046122105112
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Is the bike in neutral? If so is the neutral light on? Have you checked to make sure the clutch switch is working. Is the kickstand up?

As rock stated. Nothing replaces the manual. It's saved my life a few times.

The factory honda one is the best. It has some awesome troubleshooting guides.

T.C.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

I appreciate the help guys. The battery is fully charged, I charged it for 5 hours and did all the waiting/reading on it. I have the blue (85-86) manual as well as the clymer manual and both have a ton of information, which all of it is very useful, I was just trying to cut through some of the information with first hand experience/knowledge by others.

I got the junction box wires connected correctly I think, I turned the ignition switch to on and none of the indicator lights go on except for the headlight one (when i flick on the brights) the neutral light isnt on, although the bike is in fact in neutral. The kick stand is up, and I am not sure on the clutch switch. I got a reading when I hooked up the voltmeter, but the outer button isnt there, so I just have to push the metal holder in for the contact and what looks like closing the circuit (could be the horn button for all i know, the hand controls are a bit of a mess with my bike and this is my first bike and cant see the colors of the wires because of the dirt inside)

The fact that I am not even getting a clicking sound or any sort of reaction to the start button makes me wonder if there is some wiring problem early, maybe the ignition switch itself? I had to connect the old wiring harness bottom end to the ignition switch and tried my best to align the little metal pins that connect the two wires in the ignition harness. <--This is the first thing I will check tomorrow, and just see if its misaligned.
Strength in the Lord.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

That fact that your neutral light is not on is troubling. You may have a bad neutral switch that is not allowing the solenoid to kick in. I would check the bulb first and the fusees then if it's neither check the neutral switch. If it's bad it will not allow your bike to turn over.

T.C.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Even with a bad N switch the indicator lights should still come on when the key is first turned on, I only have the schematic for the 85 VT700C but what it says is that the starter relay gets its power from the starter switch which in turn gets its power from one of the 10 amp fuses.

Even if they look ok pull all of your fuses and test them with an ohm or continuity meter, you should have one 30 amp, a 15, and six 10 amp fuses.

You head light gets its power through one of the 10 amp fuses that goes to the side of the starter switch that is closed when you are not pressing the button and opens when you are pressing the button so your starter switch is getting power to it at least to one side of it but the other side that closes when you press the button may not be. Again, pull all of your fuses and test them.

Your KILL/RUN switch just supplies power to the ignition coils and spark units so don't bother with troubleshooting it at this point (you may need to later if the engine spins but won't fire).

And again this info. was based on the 85 VT700C schematic the actual VT1100 schematic may be different.
landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

If both the neutral switch and the clutch lever switch aren't on, the starter will not turn. Even though it's in neutral, the signal is purely electronic.
One of them has to be tripped.
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

You guys are great, I checked the fuses and only one or two were bad and I think they were horns and turns, but I replaced every fuse, including the 30, I couldnt find the 15 fuse, but I also went ahead and took apart the clutch controls and cleaned it up and reconnected everything and everything was working.

So now I have my neutral light going on as well as all my others. When I pull the clutch and push start, I hear it try and turn over once and then nothing. The battery is also making a small clicking noise, but the battery is brand new and is putting out about 11.5 volts. I am charging it now just to get some extra juice out of it, but what should I be checking next? I put gas in it, I didnt put a lot though, just what I had left from a gas tank in the garage (from when my girlfriend ran out of gas over Christmas). Do I need to put a more substantial amount of gas in?

Any other suggestions or steps are greatly appreciated and I appreciate everyones patience with me.
Strength in the Lord.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to jcpokinatcha

only 11.5v? keep charging it like you are.. make sure its putting minimum of 12.6v... that will likely help you A LOT.
before i replaced my battery, it would only hold 12.3 and it wouldnt even come close to starting my bike..

and you should have added FRESH gas.. stuff from over christmas has already begun to degrade.. its like 3 months old.. someone on here with more knowledge than i on the subject said that gasoline isnt very much good at all after 8 weeks... it might fire for you, but i would drain it and start with fresh fuel, especially since you are having trouble..

-Jeremy

Just purchased: 1981 CB750C
SOLD: 1984 VT750C
CMC 007 - #7152
jcpokinatcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

11.5 is no where near enough to start the bike. Bikes are extremely susceptible to low batteries. I see in an earlier post you said you charged it for 5 hours. Typically charging it on a slow trickle charger for 24 hours is the best method and will improve the over all life of any battery if you charge it long enough. Get that baby charged up over night then give it shot. Sounds like you had a fuse issue. Get a charged battery and you should at least have crank. Then you have carbs to worry about if it's sat at all.

T.C.
Advertisement