Taking Front Tire of VLX 600 Off - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Taking Front Tire of VLX 600 Off

I need to know the sizes of the allen wrenches for the two bolts in the front fork ( on the right) and the main large one for the axle. I am thinking 17 mm for the large on. I got the brakes off, then take the speedometer off and then I can take the tire off. I can't find what sizes these are anywhere, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Own: 2007 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe Light Blue
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Stock wheel on my VLX takes a 17mm hex bit to remove. The pinch bolts are 6 mm. If you don't have a set of metric hex bits (3/8" drive) you need to get some. You may need to get a wooden dowel and gently tap the axle to get it to come out. Be gentle. When reinserting the axle you have to get the wheel and the forks lined up EXACTLY or the axle won't go in. A little grease smeared on the axle helps. Make sure the bike is solidly supported or it will try to kill you. I suspended the front end from a couple of rafters with cargo straps with the bike strapped onto a lift. If the front wheel is able to turn it is more difficult to line the axle up. If you can, beg, borrow, or steal a torque wrench. These bolts need to be torqued to proper specs. If you're careful the brake caliper doesn't really have to be removed from the forks. I love the Einstein quote - he was my hero.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

THANK YOU. Just what I needed to know. What about the speedometer, I haven't tackled that yet.

Own: 2007 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe Light Blue
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I believe that you will have to disconnect the speedo cable from the hub to remove the wheel. It's easy, remove the bolt that mounts it to the hub and pull it out. I seem to remember that there is a stamped steel spring washer that also comes out, pay attention to how it is set in there and reassemble the same way. Take your time and you'll be OK. If you get confused go to the BikeBandit website and pull up the diagram they use when ordering original equipment Honda parts (OEM). They have a very nice set of microfiche illustrations that you can look at and even zoom in on. Type in the year and model of your bike (VT 600C) and it will take you to the index of illustrations. I know I am repeating myself here but make very sure the bike is supported securely when you start pulling the front wheel off. If it falls you could be serious injured and it WILL do damage to the bike. Let us know how you make out. Always glad to help out a fellow VLX rider.
Advertisement