Carburetor Synchronizer - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Carburetor Synchronizer

Anyone know if buying a carburetor synchronizer is a good investment. And if so, where and which model to buy. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not sure if it is necessary but feeling that I had to remove and clean my carbs I purchased a Morgan Carb Tune as was recommended by someone here.

I didn't want to make my own.

2004 Spirit 1100
I-AM-TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey txridr, where ya located?? I have a homemade one, made from instructions I got from HS, and I also have the tubes that screw in the ports, (tubes are for a 1100 gotten from markc).

vwfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

http://www.huntforfood.com/manometer.php

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0013/

It's not much of an investment, the total cost to DIY is under $20. I sync my carbs once a year. It really doesn't take that long to do.

2004 Shadow Spirit 1100
http://www.ama-cycle.org/
docc30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Good investment? Depends on whether or not you're going to use it. Generally, I only check carb sync once a year (about 7k miles) and don't need to adjust it every time.

With a V-twin, making your own is probably better. If that's too much to take on then you probably wouldn't use it. I've been using a 4-cylinder one that I bought years ago for the 4-cylinder bike I was rebuilding at the time. I really don't like the way it works on my V-twin so I've bought the tubing I need to build my own 2-cylinder version (as per the instructions linked above).

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

You can buy this one on ebay for $90 after shipping... I've been meaning to get one for a long while. I rebuilt my carbs a few months ago and have just been too broke to buy the manometer. I think I'm going to try to build my own. I just hate going the cheap route only to have to go the expensive route later, but it sounds like some people even prefer this method over a true manometer.

Help keep me motivated on my rebuild "http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-...ml#post2633826"
Science.Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science.Dan View Post
You can buy this one on ebay for $90 after shipping... I've been meaning to get one for a long while. I rebuilt my carbs a few months ago and have just been too broke to buy the manometer. I think I'm going to try to build my own. I just hate going the cheap route only to have to go the expensive route later, but it sounds like some people even prefer this method over a true manometer.
The homemade manometer are way more sensitve than the mercury or stick type or just about any other manometers and for a Vtwin all you are doing is balancing the vacuum between the cylinders.

Go for a homemade model-no worries I balance my FI Vstroms (throttle bodies) and several of the natually aspirated V-twins in stable. Never an issue.
Cbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbjr View Post
The homemade manometer are way more sensitve than the mercury or stick type or just about any other manometers and for a Vtwin all you are doing is balancing the vacuum between the cylinders.

Go for a homemade model-no worries I balance my FI Vstroms (throttle bodies) and several of the natually aspirated V-twins in stable. Never an issue.
Yup. For a V-Twin, the home made one is MUCH easier to set up and use and many, many, many times more sensitive if you use any readily-available fluid. (Mercury is heavy stuff.)

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

How about this?

Some syncro's I see are 2 or 4 gauges (vacuum) on plate, with hoses.

Why couldn't a guy go to say AutoZone, and "rent" (free when returned) 2 big 3" diameter gauges, use his own fittings, and have NOTHING setting around the garage being used 1 day out of a year, or so?

Maybe even switch the gauges on each cylinder to be sure they are "calibrated"....ie "read the same" before "trusting" them for the syncro job.

Input appreciated, I personally have not done this.
Stock Air box (UNI-Filter), HK's, River Road XL Slant Braided saddlebags, 6 degree Timing Advance, Mustang Wide Touring w/ Driver Backrest, PF3 Windshield, Chrome Engine Side covers, Lower forks, Final drive, Driveshaft, Swingarm, Master Cylinders, Brake caliper

1983 VT750C

1983 VF1100C Magna

95shadow1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95shadow1099 View Post
How about this?

Some syncro's I see are 2 or 4 gauges (vacuum) on plate, with hoses.

Why couldn't a guy go to say AutoZone, and "rent" (free when returned) 2 big 3" diameter gauges, use his own fittings, and have NOTHING setting around the garage being used 1 day out of a year, or so?

Maybe even switch the gauges on each cylinder to be sure they are "calibrated"....ie "read the same" before "trusting" them for the syncro job.

Input appreciated, I personally have not done this.
Sure that would work but for a couple bucks you make your own - cheaper than the fuel it takes for me to get to and from an autozone (not to mention the time) and doesn't take much room just hang it on the end of the storage racks when you are done.

Has everyone seen this thread in the stickys above?

Carbs Synched - big thanx!!! (w/some pix)

Last edited by Cbjr; 02-06-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Cbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement