Throttle Cable(s) Replacement Question. - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Throttle Cable(s) Replacement Question.

Good morning everyone,

A few visits to Iraq have kept both me and my bike (a 1996 SHadow A.C.E. 1100) off the forums for a bit. In a good place now and ready to get the bike back on the road. Got her running this weekend after changing out plugs, gas, and oil/filter. Very surprised with myself for making that happen. LMAO I did have one issue though. My throttle cable, the one on top, is frayed and I wanted to replace it. I would love to be able to replace it myself, but am unsure of how difficult the process can be. Again, my mechanical accumen is between nil and none. LOL Mind you, I was able to perform the above mentioned repairs without incident, so I know a little. I have a manual, so I imagine there is some help there. I would appreciate any input you guys have to offer as to whether this may be something I want to undertake myself. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

O.
shdwdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Man if you can field strip your weapons....

Changing the cable is very very easy...all you need is a philips screwdriver and a 12mm wrench.

First get a camera though and take a large amount of pics of the cable routing and carb...for reference later (This is optional.... but don't come back whining about routing problems )

You remove the screws on the stop/run/stop light switch cover. Now you can access the cables on the handlebars.

Next loosen the nuts on the cable by the carb and remove from carb.

At this point I like to tape the new cable to the old one and pull the new one though as you pull out the old.

Reattach at carbs, reattach at throttle, reassemble cover.

Adjust cable at carb... done.

BTW... Nice to see you made it back. Welcome home.
Nitro2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you soo much. I may give this a shot. I am guessing now might be a good time to change out my throttle sleeve since it looked a little dinged up when I removed the grip. Again, I really appreciate the pointers.

O.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Regarding takin pictures of the way the throttle cable routes, another idea would be to take some brightly colored string or yarn and make it follow the path of the old cable. Leave the yarn in place when you remove the old cable, then just follow the path of the yarn when you put in the new one.

While I like the idea of taking pictures (and I usually do before I take anything off of my bike) I think this might be an easier method.

good luck and thanks for your service in Iraq.

Jardine slip-ons
K&N filter
New Memphis Slims and lowers
Willie & Max saddlebags
Kury ISO grips
Mustang Seat
jwiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Another quick thought: I am picking up the parts I need today, throttle cable and throttle sleeve, and was wondering if this would be easier if I remove the tank? I can see where I need to get to at the left side of the tank and towards the front of the tank, and I would love to be able to do it without removing the tank. I have read some "Tips" in other threads about reattaching the cable, how to make it go as smooth as possible. Thanks again for the help, and I would love any other tricks that will allow for this to go as painless as possible...
Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well, got my hands on the parts and got started: And promptly failed miserably. LMAO Gonna relook it tonight. I had an issue with getting the new throttle sleeve set up, took photos before I dismantled and everything looked ok. Also, the little thing on the left that opens and closes the throttle (like that technical jargon), I cant seem to figure out how to tighten/adjust the cables to get rid of the slack. I see the thing that holds the cables, with two small screws to remove it, and I see how the cables sit in there, with one bolt on either side. Just having trouble figuring out how to adjust the free play. Honestly, I dont know how much help any one can give, but I needed to vent more than anything else. This sucks. LMAO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement