1985 shadow into a bobber - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tweeter45
Default 1985 shadow into a bobber

Hey people, lookin to convert my shadow into a bobber, any advice would be great. are there kits you can buy or should i just pick in a seat, handle bars and grind the back off??
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know of any kits. In my opinion, part of what makes a bobber a bobber is doing it yourself and sort of making the bike as raw as possible.

The plan for my '85 is to bob the rear fender just above the rear tail light, and probably bob the front fender about a third of the way back. A lot of bobbers get rid of the front fender altogether. It's personal preference, I guess, but I don't want to kick anything into the radiator. A friend of mine and I fabbed some z bars (pics coming soon). I chopped up the rear seat and cut foam out of the front and rear seats for a lower profile. I moved the license plate to the swingarm and put a new tail light on the top of the sissy bar, too. Oh, yeah, I got rid of the stock exhaust and just put some tail pipes on the stock headers with some cheap 8" baffles.

I also plan on getting lowering shocks, partly because I like a low look but also because bobbing the rear fender will show a pretty big gap between the tire and the fender. One of the last steps for mine will be a flat paint job.

"True" bobbers would get rid of all of the extra gauges, lights, etc. I want mine to be street legal, so I'll be keeping that stuff for the most part.

I'll have some more pics when I get a little further along. Good luck with yours!
Old 08-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Be Creative & Have Fun...

as someone has just said, I don't think there are any rules to follow... just be creative & have fun...I choppped/bobbed up my shadoiw some years back and just winged it...I know how i wanted it to look... I think as you start you will just find your own style... *2 reccommendations; 1. think about what your doing and how it may affect the bike etc down the road (electrical re-wiring etc)....and 2. not sure where you live and what your weather is like but I like in a semi wet area in Pa. and i tried the no front fender but that was the worst move ever.... even w/just a lil water on road you will have a hard time seeing w/water coming up from tire.... but def try it out if you want and see how your bike does....

happy cutting/bobbing~

cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tweeter45

so if i run straight hollow exhaust, or just pipes comming out of the head, can this damage the engine or any bad effects??
Old 08-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

I saw mixed responses regarding this question. Some say you'll have to rejet, get a different air filter, etc. Others say that the bike will run fine with almost any type of change you make.

Personally, mine starts right up and seems to run fine. I did get some 8" baffles to put inside, partly to deaden the sound a little and partly because I thought it might help if there was any risk of damage to the engine.

I do have some popping on decel, and I've adjusted the air/fuel mix screws to compensate. Some say running too lean will cause problems. I don't know. It seems to be okay so far.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

I do not know all of the specifics of what can or should happen to the engine running it this way but I am in agreement w/ VTEC Fan,....

(I have been running mine w/straight pipes for years w/NO adjustments made....my bike runs strong and cruises easily at 45 or 85 all day long... I have put a few thousand miles on it already like this....)....some riders have told me the same, that i need jetting and some say if it runs fine then dont change it.... I do get the popping on decelerating but I like this a lot... * I try to pay more attention to the more experienced/old school riders who have been riding bikes since before I was born... lots of new schoolers out there act like they built the damn engines themselves.... yet don't know how to change their own oil~

I think I only burn a lil more fuel this way but i usually just cruise so its plenty good so far.... about 40-45mpg...

cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Check out www.bluecollarbobbers.com They have a kit for Shadow 600's. Not sure what would fit on other sizes, but they do look good.
gasmanhoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

You fellas don't realize it yet; the bikes you're ripping apart are becoming rarer every day. The '83 VT750's are being torn down and turned into dime-a-dozen bobbers.

A well-restored bike is worth more, in the long run, should you plan to keep it; but should you decide to sell that stripped-down bobber in the future, and you WILL, it ain't gonna be worth spit. And, keep in mind, that EVERYONE is doing these bikes in flat black, no front fender, and a shaved rear fender with sidelights. And, everyone thinks that THEIR bike is the ultimate "bobber", done right and worth every penny.

It's a fad, fellers. Bobbers are NOT fun to ride for the long-haul. They make excellent bar-hoppers, for sure. But, for the long haul? I bet your butt is gonna hurt riding 50+ miles.

Good luck...you'll need it.

markspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

To further add to what Markspike said, every time you see a huge amount of parts come up on eBay for a specific motorcycle means that another old motorcycle is no longer on the road and the amount spare parts for it just got even lower.

There are much better bikes to turn into bobbers than the Shadow series, the 83-85 were very tightly put together machines there really isn't a lot you can do to modify them and I wish people would stop trying. Older Harleys, and the other metric motorcycles out there are much better candidates for turning into bobbers.

Just my 2 cents.
landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

nothing like a sportster bobber, cheap fast and looks fantastic as a bobber. However who doesnt love a challenge? I sure do i am working on bobbing an 83 750 right now. my only real challenge is getting rid of that shity carb design and putting a more traditional set of carbs on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landon
To further add to what Markspike said, every time you see a huge amount of parts come up on eBay for a specific motorcycle means that another old motorcycle is no longer on the road and the amount spare parts for it just got even lower.

There are much better bikes to turn into bobbers than the Shadow series, the 83-85 were very tightly put together machines there really isn't a lot you can do to modify them and I wish people would stop trying. Older Harleys, and the other metric motorcycles out there are much better candidates for turning into bobbers.

Just my 2 cents.
Advertisement