Sudden Engine Oil Leak from hydraulic clutch slave cylinder - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sudden Engine Oil Leak from hydraulic clutch slave cylinder

While on a 1700 mile ride at the Idaho Montana border I found a major oil gusher coming from the Clutch Slave Cylinder housing. Having no choice but to performk a road side fix, I created a makeshift gasket from shredded cigarette filters and ATV gasket silicone. (worked fine for 600 miles home, but the clutch slave cylinder is not working so well (can't over come crankcase oil pressure when oil is cold)

I originally suspected that there were o rings on the clutch push rod shaft that had let go, however upon returning home, my Clymer manual does not show any such o rings.

My next guess is that the Clutch Oil pressure relief is stuck open. I do not want to take the clutch covers off (gaskets are a week away) if I am wrong.

Anybody have any other suggestions before I start tearing things apart unnecessarily?

Oh yeah,,,,, 1993 VT1100

Thanks in advance

93 Spirit VT1100
mooneyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

I created a makeshift gasket from shredded cigarette filters and ATV gasket silicone. (worked fine for 600 miles home
===============================================
Man you get the Mc Giver award I believe all you need to do is rebuild it, sounds like the cup let loose, cracked. I'm not sure but I don't think you have to pull the side case to get to it, I think it's under the back half of the side case (part 1)
http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_sectio...1993&fveh=3970
Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Great roadside fix!

You're leaking engine oil and not clutch fluid, right?

You could be looking at a clutch pushrod seal failure. It's happened on every Honda I've owned that's had a hydraulic clutch. It's no an o-ring. It's a seal about 1.5" around, with a 1/4" hole in the center. The clutch fluid dissolves the seal over time, turning it into Jell-O.

Easy to replace, but like you said, you need new engine case gaskets and a Saturday to do it.

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Possibly #23 in this diagram?

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Hey thanks Tube!

I think you are right, going to do the tear down tonight, I don't remmeber seeing that seal in there, but I'll pay more attention this time.

It is definately Engine Oil, not clutch fluid...

As for the road side fix...us old farm kids have lots of tricks up our sleeves!

Thanks again for your help, I'll post my findings here in a few hours...hopefully

93 Spirit VT1100
Old 08-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've replaced that seal on my '87 VT1100C, something's leaking though. I don't know if it's oil or break fluid.
And now I'm even more confused. How come engine oil leaks because of clutch slave cylinder seal?

1987 VT1100C Shadow Spirit
1997 VT1100C Shadow Spirit
dfobox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

The seal believed to be leaking is not in the slave, it's the seal that seals the engine oil from coming out where the cross tube go from one side of the engine to the other to work the clutch, clutch is on the right and the slave is on the left, the slave pushes on the tube/bar and moves the clutch and there a lot of oil in between.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

I believe you are right...that seal does not look so great, although where it mates up with the crankcase looks to me like it would never hold back anything....

However, I am heading down to the dealers tomorrow am to see how long it will take to get a new seal...a whole 3.29 on Bike Bandit, but it won't be here until early next week, and the weather man is being nice for the next 5 days

Thanks for your help, I will post the results as soon as the seal arrives.

93 Spirit VT1100
Old 08-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Had almost the same problem on mine, Justin diagnosed it in a snap!
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93425

Nice work man!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Replaced Seal, still leaking

OK, I replaced the seal, and still ourping oul out...seems I am missing something. In Justin's explaination, he describes a Half moon plate or crescent shaped plate to remove, and there is yet another seal behind it. Do I have to remove the crankcase cover to get at that second seal, as I do not see anything except the casting from inside the clutch slave cover. Perhaps there are subtle differences between the 500 and the 1100??

93 Spirit VT1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.