Fuel leak from ? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fuel leak from ?

2000 VT1100C2 been stored for a while and when I tried to start it, fuel started pouring out from somewhere. Traced it to a line coming from somewhere near carbs. Where is this line connected (not coming from tank) and why would it be leaking?

Old 09-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

One of the carb over flows and it's leaking because the fuel shut off needle isn't shutting off, sometimes tapping on the top of the carb will stop it.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

depends what line it is. For sure it might be your carb overflowing, and if that's the case, if tapping it doesn't fix it, it's a fairly easy fix.

What happens when your carb overflows is that your float is failing to push in the needle and seat to close the fuel valve leading into your carb... maybe it's crudded up, or stuck, but sometimes tapping it will loosen the crud or the stick.

If not, take off your seat, tank, and airbox, and you'll see the carbs. drain them and pull them off, and take off the float bowls (four screws on the bottom). This is also a good time to clean the bowls and jets... well worth it, since your bowls are already off.
Anyways, your floats are the big plastic things in there. As your bowls fill with fuel, they float and as they go up they push a small needle up into the fuel valve. as it goes further and further up it restricts the flow of gas more and more due to it's tapered shape, eventually cutting it off completely. Then, as your bike uses fuel from the bowls, the level drops, lower the floats, lowering the needle, and gas starts pouring in again starting the cycle over.

Sounds complex in writing, but a quick look will make it all make sense. It's very self-explanitory.

Once you find the 'needle'--the thing that the float pushes up into a passage--check to see if it's stuck. If it's stuck, you can loosen it by hand and hope it doesn't stick again. I'd say about 50% of the time it does (in my experience). Might even work fine for a month before sticking again, but if it happens again then a tap should fix it for sure. If you don't want to deal with tapping it, get a carb rebuild kit with a new needle.

If it's not stuck, might still be your overflow. Could still be two things that I can think of: maybe your needle is worn, in which case it needs replacing (check this by seeing if pushing it mostly in the passage stops fuel flow). It also might be your float height, which means that your floats are able to go up so high before restricting fuel that the carbs are allowed to overflow. This is a best-case scenario because the fix is easy and permanent: adjust the float height. If i remember correctly, these bikes just have a bendable tang to fix height.

The tang is the little metal tab attached to the float that actually does the pushing of the needle up. You will see it, and you will also see how bending it will affect how high the fuel level is allowed to get before it stops. However, don't just adjust it willy-nilly. There are certain specs to adjust to, found in the manual.

Any questions, just post back. Keep in mind that this info is only for if your carbs are overflowing... these won't help if some other tube is leaking! might help t post a photo or really detailed description of what tube is leaking...

good luck
jasonkrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Makes sense as I believe it is the carb overflow tube. I just got home from work so I'm headed out to the garage to try your suggestions. I will post back and let you know.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Location: the bluegrass of ky right near ky and barkley lakes

a buddies got the same thing on a 2001 sabre,he asked me about it it threw me when he said only leaks after you start it do they have a fuel pump?
i've never laid hands on a sabre i told him to bring it over and i would look at it.
i thought float needle sticking except for the when started part.
roadrager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I just had a fuel leak from the carbs on my Spirit... the fuel line was loose thanks to an old compression ring. Take a look at the simple first.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100
V&H pipes
Crash bar
Am I the only forum member in Okinawa?? email me if you are here too!
2T2 Crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

What did you find out, Hondo? My Spirit has been sitting for most of a year, and when I started it up I had raw fuel pouring from under the left side cover. I've got all the side covers off, but have not yet restarted it to isolate which tube is the source.

CB

01 Spirit 1100
Link to the Forum Rules
CleoBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.