Need Help Getting To Battery on Shadow Spirit 750 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need Help Getting To Battery on Shadow Spirit 750

Hey,

Just ordered a Battery Tender for my 09 Shadow Spirit 750. I am trying to figure out how to hook it up to the battery - only problem is that I'm not sure how to get to the battery.

I got the manual, and I removed the seal, and now it says to remove the "ignition control module". From the picture in the manual it looks like a little gray box with some wires going into it.

How to you "remove" it properly? Is the ignition control module the entire gray housing that the wires are going into? How do you remove it? Do you just pull aside the tab that is going over it and pull it out? Any wires to watch out for / screws, etc?

Just don't want to do anything wrong! Help a n00b out!
beefeater267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefeater267 View Post
Just ordered a Battery Tender for my 09 Shadow Spirit 750. I am trying to figure out how to hook it up to the battery - only problem is that I'm not sure how to get to the battery.
Don't know if this will help with your model or not.............

On my VLX, I've never SEEN the battery; it's burried.
I hooked my pigtail up to the starter solenoid, where the fat cable comes from the battery (+) connection and the (-) connection by the starter where the black cable from the battery is connected.

It is best to disconnect that ground cable and insulate the end before you go working on any of the (+) leads.

Wherever you connect it, you probably should have a inline fuse in the (+) lead as near to your connection point as possible. A 5 A fuse is more than enough.
A-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's under the seat. Remove the bolt on the back of the seat and slide the seat back and lift up.

Ride your own ride, don't tell me how to ride mine.
shadow247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Getting to battery on Shadow Spirit

I've got a 2007 Shadow Spirit. They're probably VERY similar if not the same set up.

Once you've got the seat off, there is a little grey "box" sitting on top of the battery. On my bike there's a single phillips screw holding that thing in place....leave all the wires connected to it. Just undo the screw and the whole thing flips up. Be careful though. There are tabs at 1 end. The tabs combined w/the screw hold this thing onto the battery box. Once you flip that up out of the way your battery should be exposed.

Probably want to connect some short leads to your battery terminals. Run them out of the box so you don't have to go thru this exercise everytime you charge your battery. Then just tuck those leads up under your seat or someplace out of the way when you're riding. Then tending the battery is a simple quick connection and the seat can stay on. Allows for more spontenaity w/r/t riding.

Good luck.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

+1 to Bob....a "Battery Tender" charger usually comes with the wires to hook to your battery and run out the side..then u just tiw them off and leave them there until u need to charge the batt. Well worth the money!!
ms21117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement