Honda Shadow Forums banner

Best used cruiser under $3k?

11K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  gatorboy89 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy a cruiser, thinking I will skip buying a V-Max and want a fairly modern 900cc plus bike. Love the Valk, but it's a bit high. This is for second bike, so I am not in a hurry. Already had a 1986 Shadow VT70C - would like some more modern technology and a larger displacement engine (want a V-Twin, unlike the inline 4 in my yammie.

Trying to spend less than $3k.

What do you think? Do any of you have suggestions as to what is the best cruiser or what I should be looking for in a cruiser as a 2nd bike? I want torque, I want comfort (forward controls OK, but would prefer closer to mid controls and highway pegs... Also would like to have a luggage rack so as to have a place fro my computer/briefcase while riding, and a trunk (or ability to add one) if at all possible (without having to machine it...)

Any suggestions?

-Dan

#2 ·
And you come to a Honda Shadow forum and ask what kind of cruiser to buy? What kind of answer do you expect to get? :wink:

Seriously, I'm seeing a fair number of early '90s VT1100s on Craigslist for around $3k. Might be worth looking into.

sanoke

#4 ·
You can get a Nice 1100 ace for between 3 and 4 grand easy. I payed 4 grand for my 97 and I shopped, looked at about 8 bikes (new I wanted ace 1100) and found a mint condition low milage one in one of my two favorite colors. I have seen them for low as 3200 bucks once in a while. I love mine and am glad I got the 1100 instead of 750, I know now I would have wanted to change up. I love my bike, I took my time and got the right bike the first time, I love it.

#6 ·
HondaMike said:
I just picked my Honda Shadow 1100 spirit. 2002, 5k miles for $2000. I really like it. I found it on craigslist after about 2 weeks of looking.
Did you have him sign the title at gun point? :lol:

I bought my '99 1100 Spirit with 31K on it (very good conditition) for $3K in April and I thought I got a good deal.

#7 ·
"would like some more modern technology" -- That's funny :)

A few years from now the Vulcan 900 will be *exactly* what you're looking for. For now, it's still a bit new to fit that price point. Shame... great little bike.

Vulcan 750 LTD <-- very cool bike
V-Star 1100 <-- very pedestrian, but seriously good bike
Sportster 1200 <-- no, seriously. I'd AIM for this, personally.
Buff the bank a little and look for a used Mean Streak
1987 SuperMagna <-- this vies for first/second choice with the Sportster 1200

(the '87 SuperMagna)

(the Vulcan 750)

Personally, after already owning a Shadow, I can't think of a Shadow I'd re-buy, except *maybe* the 750 Spirit, but that's an aesthetics thing more than a "great bike" thing (and yes, I know its' a great bike. They're ALL great bikes these days).

#8 ·
chornbe said:
"would like some more modern technology" -- That's funny :)

A few years from now the Vulcan 900 will be *exactly* what you're looking for. For now, it's still a bit new to fit that price point. Shame... great little bike.

Vulcan 750 LTD <-- very cool bike
V-Star 1100 <-- very pedestrian, but seriously good bike
Sportster 1200 <-- no, seriously. I'd AIM for this, personally.
Buff the bank a little and look for a used Mean Streak
1987 SuperMagna <-- this vies for first/second choice with the Sportster 1200

(the '87 SuperMagna)

(the Vulcan 750)

Personally, after already owning a Shadow, I can't think of a Shadow I'd re-buy, except *maybe* the 750 Spirit, but that's an aesthetics thing more than a "great bike" thing (and yes, I know its' a great bike. They're ALL great bikes these days).
I like that Vulcan 900.... a bit out of my range. Read a review on the 2002 Mean Streak - compared it to the Yamaha Warrior, which I know nothing about, but apparently was well received.

As for the SuperMagna, isn't that the 700cc version of the biger V65? What makes it a better buy than its bigger brother? Although it looks pretty cool...

- Dan

#9 ·
The more I hear and read, the more convinced I am that the Vulcan 900 is one hell of a great (much more than $3k unfortunately) bike in many regards. Really too bad the model isn't a bit older to fit into your price range.

Have no fear, here's an alternative, and you can buy her brand new with less than 3k and still have a little extra for sundries.

I got you covered, hoss. :wink:

#11 ·
That SuperMagna is slick indeed - looks good even by today's standards. I wonder how plentiful they are in the used market?
I just bought one on ebay for $1600. It was in a low speed rear-ender though. A few new pieces and it should go just fine.

They can be had for less than $3k but the prices are rising and the numbers are falling due to "collectible" status. Honda made something like 10,000 of the 87s and even less of the 88s.

I just thought it was a sick bike :p :p :p

As for the SuperMagna, isn't that the 700cc version of the biger V65? What makes it a better buy than its bigger brother? Although it looks pretty cool...
As far as engine size, in the 80s the US put a tariff (trade tax) on all motorcycles over 700ccs from foreign countries, so the bikes from around 85-87 are all 700ccs instead of the 750s. They perform just the same as the 750s though. 1100s completely disappeared from the market during those years.

I guess uncle sam rides a hog.

#13 ·
rickbb said:
Bought a 96 1100 ACE off ebay for $3, :wink:

$3 dollars is pretty good! I could buy a thousand of them and then sell them for $3k each and have $3 million! Then I could buy a dealership and just ride demos!

Just kidding. I am now looking at Super Magnas and 2nd gen magnas, as well as everything else under the sun. Maybe I'll buy a Sportster like Chornbe....but if I ever bought a Harley I always figured it would be a Fat Boy or Road King...I like them Road Kings.

-Dan

#14 ·
You could probably find a Virago for that much. They were a bit odd looking, but they were solid bikes and handled pretty well for cruisers. Older ones (Maybe newer ones, too) had some issues with the starter. It worked; it just sounded like someone shaking a can of rocks.

#15 ·
gatorboy89 said:
As far as engine size, in the 80s the US put a tariff (trade tax) on all motorcycles over 700ccs from foreign countries, so the bikes from around 85-87 are all 700ccs instead of the 750s. They perform just the same as the 750s though. 1100s completely disappeared from the market during those years.
Huh, '85 Shadow 1100's gone? Getouttahere!

:)

regards,

#16 ·
Huh, '85 Shadow 1100's gone? Getouttahere!
Fuzzy on which years the tariff was enforced, sorry. Anyways, if you find a 700cc bike, that's why. What's really fun though, is to find a Canadian market 87 super. They're 750ccs and a real pain to find.

*edit*

WAIT A MINUTE!!! YOU'RE FROM CANADA!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That explains it. According to the interwebs, the tariff was from 84-87 and it was a 30 or 40% import tariff on bikes over 700ccs imported to the US. Apparently HD almost went bankrupt in the early 80s which is why they asked the government to do it. They also tried this back in the 50s but they were denied. Another funny anecdote I've run across is that HD tried to get a patent on their bike's "sound" but that failed miserably as well.

"Now you know...

the REST of the story."

#18 ·
Yeah, the tariffs DID go into place right after the '83's hit the market. However, the 1100's were introduced and were very popular, even with the tax added, they were selling rapidly.

I searched a long time to find the 1100, good shape, that perfect style that I still love so much. If they re-introduced the same type of style that the mid 80's bikes had, I'd probably have a new one!

regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.