Honda Shadow Forums banner

First 10 miles

16K views 94 replies 12 participants last post by  Fat Kid 
#1 ·
So i've made it :mrgreen: That's a huge milestone for me personally, so that's how it was going...

On monday it was so rainy that even dogs prefer to stay at their houses, my cat had a thought that i'm crazy but i went to Cycle Gear shop on 4834 North University Drive, Lauderhill, FL 33351 to spend there 3 hours searching for helmet. My XXL size head is out of most helmets. So i was facing two choices: to buy cheap helmet for $130 or too expensive for $500... So i stopped at cheap one which i bought for $70 (thanks to SALE sign):

BILT Demon Modular Motorcycle Helmet i've got silver.

Also i've got gloves and cover, they were on sale as well.

Rain decided to keep me away from riding, and mechanic was too busy to take off tires, and to make it all battery died...

On tuesday i finally got tires done with the damage of 320 portraits of dead presidents for new tires and 90 portraits for new battery.

Finally wednesday, i've learned that it all ready =) And my mechanic wants some room in a shop =) So i had no other choice other than take bike and drive it to stable. So after 2 hours of harassing everybody around mechanic shop i decided it's time. So i find the path on google maps - put earplug in the ear to hear directions and some music and got my self few blocks from shop when my bike stalled... As i found later there is "reserve" switch which i wasn't aware of... with some help from two wheel brother who was passing me on his Ford (If you read that thank you dude, you make me feel better and that's all what i need) so i get to gas station and fill the tank. So some how after dragging the bike thru few intersections i came home to show my wifey that i can lol, so here we are:

After few minutes at home i came to the stable and covered my beauty till monday... can't wait to see her again...

So first 10 miles... and i'm ready for 100 more.. Next week if weather decided to be good i'll spend time practicing my skills, so if you have time and want to share some knowledge PM me i'll use parking lot near i-95 and Griffin.

PS: For a person who helped me: Thank you! There was nothing you can do , since you have Harley, but your support meant a lot to me.

See less See more
#3 ·
Depends on which transmission your bike has. I think its the 4 speed. If so, No, don't even try 2nd from a light. Unless you like replacing clutches. I have an '83 with a 6 speed. I can come off a stop in 2nd with some fancy clutch work, but I'm not a fan of burnt clutches so I generally don't.

#9 ·
Damn program... Dunno how to edit out here..

So, overall I've made my way from turnpike to I-75 by Griffin rd, then i get lost a bit and somehow found my self on Stirling rd. Then made my way to the stables. I think it's like 20 miles in total.

What i understand is: night ride i like more :) less cars, less ppl, mostly green light all around.

My Shadow was doing just perfect, but i can't say the same about my butt... So my priorities are changing to seat at first and windshield as second.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Motorcycle.com App

#13 ·
While reading this forum i remembered the post of one rider about his scare to get on highway... Yesterday was my first highway ride. I never had a better experience flying 75 mph leaning to the tank, passing semis and feeling different air pressure zones, leaning to compensate for wind... And after all feel of the plane flying above you =)

The only thing i could say - it wasn't me and my shadow, that was We!

I never get such fun by riding from red light to red light =)

So after day of using my Shadow as commuter, i decide evening would be perfect to ride to Okeechobee or US-27... And I've made it =)

One way US-27 N to NW U.S. 441 S - Google Maps

And back SW 64th Ave/Davie Rd to US-27 N - Google Maps

So since the rule no pics it never happened:

Sorry for quality, was shooting on my phone =)

That's a semis parking and bar out there, went and bought a can of coke =) Stretched my legs and went home =) What was really funny - ot the gas station i put my long sleeve and while passing one of the streets i felt how i crossed cold air front and warm air front border =) That was awesome feeling!

So one day, chewed around 80 miles, and struggling for more =)

#14 ·
You should plan some scenic roots that you do like once or twice a month. I'm up around Gainesville some friends of mine and I hit the long country roads around the smaller cities. Nothing like running roads with no traffic, lots of nice curves and long straights to keep it exciting but the scenery of wide open farmer fields on rolling hills is nice early in the morning.

#15 · (Edited)
Fat_Kid how old are you if you don't mind me asking? Just curious? I'm 26 by the way. I've been riding for 7 years.

Is this your first time riding a motorcycle? Have you ever ridden in groups +2 or more?

Noticed you're very detailed about your rides. That's good. But its funny to read too so thanks for the entertainment. Riding is tricky but it will come natural to you. What first seems like "too much to handle", and at times you will over-think about shifting and driving, becomes something of second nature with lots of practice. The reason I asked if you even ridden in groups is because with groups, there are many more "rules" and challenges on the road and on the mind. I've figured this: learning to ride in South Florida, particularly in Miami, will give you the most experience of a diverse traffic environment. We have the worst car drivers down here but learning how to ride in this traffic brings your attention and retention level even higher. This way when you ride around the state, there's less thinking involved, because you're becoming a natural at riding and everything becomes more enjoyable.

If you need help and tips then let me know. I dont know all the rules but I can always give you good advice and tips to making your ride easier and more enjoyable. Next thing you know, you'll be taking long trips on your own and group trips with 3 or more bikes!

#17 ·
Fat_Kid how old are you if you don't mind me asking? Just curious? I'm 26 by the way. I've been riding for 7 years.
Absolutely don't mind. I'm 28, but feel and wish to stay 18 :-D

Is this your first time riding a motorcycle? Have you ever ridden in groups +2 or more?
Basically yes - it's a first time i drove that far. Normally i stay within the city. Actually, normally before i tried riding on highway :mrgreen:

Noticed you're very detailed about your rides. That's good. But its funny to read too so thanks for the entertainment.
Oh thank you! If it will grow i'll made a book lol

Riding is tricky but it will come natural to you. What first seems like "too much to handle", and at times you will over-think about shifting and driving, becomes something of second nature with lots of practice. The reason I asked if you even ridden in groups is because with groups, there are many more "rules" and challenges on the road and on the mind.
That's what i'm trying to get right now: muscle memory. When i'll feel my self more advanced I'm definitely gonna attend to MSF second level and third level as well. So i'm just starting - but i already know that motorcycle for me no harsh daily driver.

I've figured this: learning to ride in South Florida, particularly in Miami, will give you the most experience of a diverse traffic environment. We have the worst car drivers down here but learning how to ride in this traffic brings your attention and retention level even higher. This way when you ride around the state, there's less thinking involved, because you're becoming a natural at riding and everything becomes more enjoyable.
I was learning driving car on my own in South Hialeah so Broward for me is a piece of cake lol

If you need help and tips then let me know. I dont know all the rules but I can always give you good advice and tips to making your ride easier and more enjoyable. Next thing you know, you'll be taking long trips on your own and group trips with 3 or more bikes!
I'll drop you my number in PM, today i'll try to get by i-595 to I-27 and back, like this:

Unknown road to US-27 N/N Okeechobee Rd - Google Maps

Will see what happened. But just in case i get my self AMA membership =)))

#18 · (Edited)
So we have made it.
At first we got sprayed with rain a bit. Just to remind us that some times taking shower is a good thing. But our heads were headed west.

I-595 greet us with construction, uneven lanes and road which was looking like it goes straight to the sun. Uneven lanes are confusing, but when sunset hits your eyes, cellphone take your attention: uneven lanes are pita :) So on cruising speed around 60 we get ourself to I-75 Naples.

What I could tell you... If you never seen northern sunset, never piss on electrical wire, or seen Floridian sky you living for nothing. :D

That was amazing view, with almost no traffic and sunset, I was cruising a bit under speed limit... Wasn't courage enough to stop and take a picture because side of the road looked a bit small. But I really wish you could see that...

The ramp to I-27 get me on the limit, but I defeated that obstacle!

Riding on I-27 was pleasant, but being scared to get empty tank in the middle of nowhere turned me on gas station. And what you think that was the gas station I visited last time.

But this time I decided to shoot other side of gas station, here a piece of Florida for you:

Then I put some gas in my Shadow, stretched legs and saw best friends of every motorist eating:

Since I had no reason to stop I hit the road, heading south. I saw few other riders I tried to wave but I guess it's hard to see from opposite lane. But at least I was having fun :)

Hialeah... greeted me with a truck trying to dump on me his load. Being a gentlemen I decided not to wave middle finger but just wish him luck and brain enlargement.

So I made a turn and find my self ... hmm another "nowhere". Out there I spot nice building and took a shot just to prove that traffic means different things:

After walking and stretching a bit we headed home. With bugs committing suicide on helmet's visor.

So few hours later and almost 100 miles more on odometer I'm taking my shadow in stables.

Will hit the road on Monday and will make my ride to lake Okeechobee. Hopefully weather would be nice to me :)

PS: My butt sore a big time.. need make more stops... and need different shoes since I've no money for floorboards...

Fat Kid and his Shadow onthego

Attachments

#19 ·
Hi Fat Kid,

Im also a fairly new rider (about 10 months) and still acquiring experience. Like you, I challenge myself with obstacles I need to conquer. Last weekend it was Dania Beach ( I began in Pompano) via US 1. It was a great ride. On another occasion, I've made it to Markham park via sawgrass expresway. For long rides, I have my wife follow behind me on the SUV, just in case. Im thinking of reaching US 27 via I 75 next.

Like Phantom said, I enjoy your riding chronicles, they make very nice stories. Maybe we can meet up and share a ride or two.

Thanks for sharing!

#20 ·
Oh! Finally more ppl showing on in Florida forum =)

In reference to mine 2 month since purchase experience you're dinosaur =) Oh wait you're closer to vikings, phantom is dinosaur =)

I prefer highways and US27 for 2 main reasons - less traffic (i normally ride on weekdays - evening) and less lights =) i prefer to burn gas while riding not while standing on a red light =)

I don't know how your wife feels about that - mine told me after the first time that that is the last time she's doing anything alike =) So since i don't own towing company i got my self AMA membership for $49 a year which includes 24/7 towing, gas, basic repair and smth else i wasn't too curious about that. So in worst case scenario i know what to do. Just may be that something what will make your ride a bit more fun when you don't need to think about that SUV on your tail =) Plus normally when i finally get home wifey greeting me with food... otherwise i need to cook :mrgreen: so for me it's win/win situation!

Dunno what your plans for this Monday is, but i'm going to Lake to eat BBQ =) If you'll have time i'll be more than happy to join ride. Since you're living more close to me, so we could meet up some where in davie and if Phantom wouldn't reach me we could go I75 - I27 - Okeechobee - BBQ :mrgreen:

Hope to hear from you soon!

#21 ·
So my butt is sore, motorcycle chilling, and all that means that i went for a ride today.

So it was a small :lol: round trip 595W - US27S - Krome Ave S - Kendall Dr E- Bird Rd E - Turnpike N

So I've made approx 100 or so miles, saw grandma, drink a cup of espresso, went to Hooters, and finally home.

So what i can tell you, I really hope there would be more road shoulders to stop at... Because of that you, and I partially, missing the Florida scenery...

Today was a first time i ride at Krome, and that's a really nice side street with some nice side scenes.

At the intersection with Tamiami trail i made a turn and took a pic of my Shadow

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Mode of transport

As you can see weather for Florida is just awesome: high humidity, sky covered with clouds. So perfect :-D

Kedall greet me with bunch of retards who tried to miss my hiviz jacket, and 300 pounds of me... But luckily for them i was good at waving and finger flashing.

My grandma liked my ride and made me espresso so i could ride home safe. What i have completed without any problems.

Halfway home i remembered that today is a bikers night at local Hooters and some my buds were calling me to join them. So i send a text and went there... Needless to say i looked "outstanding" in my hiviz jacket, jeans and boots... Around folks on sport bikes and with maximum protection of flip flops :mrgreen: (actually there were all leather harley riders but they were in minority). So after five or ten minutes, with no answer by the phone or seeing someone whim i might know i decided to gear up and ride home... And was ashamed... I stalled right on the turn... And with "screw ya all" in mind went home...

Now my Shadow chilled and i could take her in stables... Hopefully next week i'll have new present for her.

PS: Next week i'll made my midnight ride for sure.

#25 ·
Dang... Here are the pics

Bag Hand luggage Baggage Luggage and bags Leather

Military camouflage Airsoft Camouflage Outerwear Personal protective equipment

You can't see pants cuz i was testing them. I bought 1 size bigger so it fits perfectly over my jeans. So now i'll wash and detail my baby and put presents on :-D

After that I'm planning to try the crumpbuster on my midnight ride thru A1A.

#30 ·
Made my first "kinda" long ride non-stop...

Basic move was by I95S to Biscayne Blvd N to A1A to US1 to 595W and to the stables.

So for those who don't know this area i ride pretty much by the famous Miami Beach and the best scene i saw was a hobo laying on a bench with bags, under sign which stated "Live healthy life"...

But lets talk about something more interesting...

You know what is the second most important "scene" for me while riding? You may laugh, but that's smells. And it gets really interesting, like kaleidoscope they are passing near you assisting with a pictures you see. Strong salty wing bringing ocean smell while going by A1A thru Miami Beach and Sunny Isles, with a lil addition of sweet smell of some flower or tree. Here is strong smell of cooling asphalt on Aventura, from a sprinklers. US1 greet me with smell of grills from different cafes and restaurants. And 595 reminded that construction is still going with a smell of "fresh'n'neverused" asphalt.
That's what i liked... Now to what i don't...

I95 after crossing with Turnpike and Palmetto is really suck to drive in car... Riding suck even more... Uneven and really small lines (all thanks to express lines), with surface which looks like shaved concrete with lots of cracksturns ride into a challenge...
I'm not gonna ride there except huge need...

So... Next ride will be to Naples... But at first i'll enjoy first oil change :-D
At least i hope that I'll enjoy it.

#50 ·
Made my first "kinda" long ride non-stop...

Basic move was by I95S to Biscayne Blvd N to A1A to US1 to 595W and to the stables.

So for those who don't know this area i ride pretty much by the famous Miami Beach and the best scene i saw was a hobo laying on a bench with bags, under sign which stated "Live healthy life"...

But lets talk about something more interesting...

You know what is the second most important "scene" for me while riding? You may laugh, but that's smells. And it gets really interesting, like kaleidoscope they are passing near you assisting with a pictures you see. Strong salty wing bringing ocean smell while going by A1A thru Miami Beach and Sunny Isles, with a lil addition of sweet smell of some flower or tree. Here is strong smell of cooling asphalt on Aventura, from a sprinklers. US1 greet me with smell of grills from different cafes and restaurants. And 595 reminded that construction is still going with a smell of "fresh'n'neverused" asphalt.
That's what i liked... Now to what i don't...

I95 after crossing with Turnpike and Palmetto is really suck to drive in car... Riding suck even more... Uneven and really small lines (all thanks to express lines), with surface which looks like shaved concrete with lots of cracksturns ride into a challenge...
I'm not gonna ride there except huge need...

So... Next ride will be to Naples... But at first i'll enjoy first oil change :-D
At least i hope that I'll enjoy it.

Hell yeah, The Golden glade is a pain to ride. (another new rider)

#31 ·
Okay it's free time i'm going to have on Tuesday, so that's my plan:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...IA;FdS6jQEdKsE3-w&mra=me&mrsp=1&sz=14&t=m&z=8

I'll ride to say hello to Gulf of Mexico :lol:

So if anyone would like to join you're welcome =) The main reason why i want to get exactly to the address above is what i think excellent place to take a pic of my Shadow =)

So according to google it's 2 hour ride, i'll count it as 3 hours ride -but i really want to get there before sunset so departure will be around 3-4 pm on coming tuesday =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.