Nyc shadow riders - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Nyc shadow riders

Hope all the new friends i made here have been able to survive the storm andbthe ensuing craziness...stay safe, stay strong and have hope....it will only get better...
Racer

racerc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Washington heights here. Put my shadow in a four - story parking garage. Totally eased my mind even though we got off pretty much unscathed.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Finally got cell service so i now have some internet. No power heat or hot water but still Alice so everything is good here. Bike is in my neighbors garage so it is Nice and safe and has the company of his ace.

2001 spirit 1100 , vance and hines long shots, , a few other small mods. Now also with a mustang seat
dorfman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just got power back. We lost some siding on the house, a section of roof off the barn and some water damage to a bedroom ceiling. However, I feel lucky compared to what others are dealing with. Bike is still covered and will come out again as soon as this Noreaster blows thru.

1994 Shadow VT1100C
Bell by KSunshine
Seatracks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

How'd the boats do?
NuBeOnLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

All the fluids changed, contacts cleaned, parts oiled - runs as good as new. Helpful angels: wd40, alcohol, baking soda, old toothbrush, turtle chrome polish and a that honda tool set + the amount of "screwing around" that I hoped to do in years to come, all compressed in a week's time (most "disabled" week in my memory...) And this forum here - so, so helpful! Luckily, the bike was not flooded high enough to reach vital components, did not sit in water for too long, I acted fast enough with all the cleaning & preventive maintenance but so many things could have gone wrong, it's not funny... You see cars bunt to ash, as someone tried to start them after the flood. Different luck of the draw for some...
harpomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBeOnLI View Post
How'd the boats do?
Not good! This is our marina. All these boat were hauled and blocked up. The tidal surge just piled them up like a bunch of twigs.

Our fuel dock, completely destroyed.

This was a new boat that had been hauled and winterized for the season. It ended up resting upside down in the water with just the bow eye visible. We lifted out with a crane. I was shocked that the bow eye held all the weight.

1994 Shadow VT1100C
Bell by KSunshine
Old 11-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MikeAstringer Send a message via Skype™ to MikeAstringer

Wow, those pictures are unbelievable. I've been volunteering at the NJ Shore since Sandy. Those pictures are worse than any marinas I saw at the Jersey Shore.

Currently I keep my boat on the Delaware River near Philadelphia. Our new marina for next season is in Longport, NJ. Neither marina sustained any damage. I've been trying to sell my boat for a year now to upgrade. It was in dry dock during the storm. I hoped it might fall off it's stands. At this point I'm thinking I would have gotten a better insurance settlement than sale price!
www.facebook.com/mikeastringer

MikeAstringer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Seatracks

Damn. I was hoping you fared better. Is the gas dock just the building? I can't even begin to imagine the headaches with the DEC if you had any tank issues.
NuBeOnLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBeOnLI View Post
Seatracks

Damn. I was hoping you fared better. Is the gas dock just the building? I can't even begin to imagine the headaches with the DEC if you had any tank issues.

The fuel dock building is a total loss. The docks , pumps, a few pilings and some floating docks were also lost. DEC and EPA were already on site. Our diesel tank is above ground surrounded by a concrete wall or dam. It is fine. The vents are 20' up and all valves were closed. Our inground gas tank is fairly new and did not leak any fuel but water did get past the fill seal which is below grade. It was not a lot of water but none the less water was introduced. So the tank was pumped dry, cleaned and is ready for spring provided the fuel pumps, docks and piling repairs are completed.

It's going to be a long road to recovery.

1994 Shadow VT1100C
Bell by KSunshine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement