Buyer Beware - Warning about NH Dealer - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Reverend Biker Send a message via MSN to Reverend Biker
Default Buyer Beware - Warning about NH Dealer

I wanted to warn anyone who might have read earlier posts where I praised Eddie's Vintage Cycles. Eddie was a top notch repair shop and a new and used bike shop.

For years I had heard what an incredible shop he ran and how knowledgeable he is. I have had two first hand experiences... the first I chalked up to bad timing, the second has me furious!

I called for a price on tires, mounted and balanced. The price on the phone was about $25 - $75 cheaper on the phone than when I got there. He didnt recall our earlier discussion. Ok... maybe I wrote something down wrong.

I went to pick up my newly mounted tires (I had to pull the rims and bring them up to him)... the price was almost $50 MORE than the inflated second price. WTH???

He then admitted "I must have charged you for weights and stuff, and I didn't use any. sorry."

Strike 2. By the time I picked up the tires, I needed 3 caliper rebuild kits for my Yamaha. He ordered them while I was there. He said if he could not have them shipped direct to me, he would box them up and put them in the mail. Tomorrow makes two weeks ago he ordered and shipped them to me. I still have not received them. I will never buy parts from him again.

I have been waiting over a week since he received the parts... every time I call, they were put in the mail yesterday. Yesterday was 4/12, then 4/14, then he told a family member 4/16 when they stopped in his shop on tuesday of this week. I know it should not take ten business days to ship from Swanzey NH to Amherst MA. Over seven days so far (if I were inclined to believe him) to send a small box 45 miles. I am thoroughly disgusted.

I have heard that all his employees quit within seven days of each other and all left for other jobs not in bike repair. Something is not adding up. Save yourself the pain and anger and avoid Eddie's Vintage Cycles in Swanzey NH... you will only be doing yourself a favor. He has proven to me his word isn't worth the breath to speak it. Do the world a favor and tell a friend...

The Rev
Reverend Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

I've had similar experiences with him but he's still pretty much the only guy around with parts for the older bikes.

2002 Shadow VT1100C
mtne87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Reverend Biker Send a message via MSN to Reverend Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtne87 View Post
I've had similar experiences with him but he's still pretty much the only guy around with parts for the older bikes.
It is so unfortunate that someone as knowledgeable and resourceful as him cannot keep his business dealings straight. He is a great guy and helpful as all ****, he just cannot follow through. It is as if the moment he finishes talking to you he has forgotten everything he said, promised or quoted. I agree, he is one of the only sources for vintage parts, but I cannot keep putting myself through the agony of dealing with him.

An update on my situation, I finally received the parts on 4/22. They were ordered by him (and charged to me on 4/6). The ACTUAL ship date (postmark) was 4/18, not 4/12, 4/14 OR 4/16. The parts kits were not what he promised (he told me they were complete rebuild kits, and they were all missing o-rings that he insisted were there).

Lastly, and the worst part of all of this, I could have diagnosed the last problem with this bike prior to reassembly if the parts were here on time, long before riding weather hit. I took my bike out last night, rebuilt calipers in place, and found that there is a transmission issue that is not letting me shift into 4th gear.

I have read in the yamaha forums that there is a known issue with a washer on 2nd gear, but I am able to shift from neutral, to first, then up to 2nd and 3rd, but not out of 3rd. I have tried double clutching, revving the throttle, shifting at higher (and lower) rpms, and nothing. It is as if 4th gear is not there. I am baffled and hoping that it is a linkeage adjustment but I fear its something internal that will require a total teardown of the engine.

That brings the frustration of my dealings to a close, for now. I need to diagnose this new issue and move forward, hopefully finding someone new to depend on for vintage service advice.

Thanks again for your corroboration of my assessment, I never take it lightly when I am wronged by someone I have spent a mortgage payment's worth of $$ with. The worst part about it, my riding season has been delayed!

Keep the shiny side up

The Rev
Old 09-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

If the shifting problem is on the Yamaha Venture in your signature then it may be a really easy fix. My old man had the same issue with his when he bought it. There is a pin that isn't held in place very well and pops out. Let me know if it is the venture, and I'll ask him the details.
If I remember correct he just pulled the clutch cover, found the pin, and put it back in.
1981 Honda CB750F
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
2006 Kawasaki ZX14 (stolen)
2006 Yamaha FZ6 (sold)
1999 Honda Shadow Aero 1100 (sold)
1980 Yamaha XT500 (sold)
Buicknick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

I just realized your post in months old, so I assume you already fixed the problem.
1981 Honda CB750F
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
2006 Yamaha FZ6 (sold)
1980 Yamaha XT500 (sold)
Old 09-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buicknick72 View Post
If the shifting problem is on the Yamaha Venture in your signature then it may be a really easy fix. My old man had the same issue with his when he bought it. There is a pin that isn't held in place very well and pops out. Let me know if it is the venture, and I'll ask him the details.
If I remember correct he just pulled the clutch cover, found the pin, and put it back in.
Thanks for the heads-up Buicknick... you are 100% right. Thats pin is exactly what it was. I found a local guy who did the repair for me back in the spring. Parts and labor was $100, so it was well worth it to me to have him fix it for me!

The venture is crazy fast and a really fun ride. It is side-lined again, though. 44,000 miles ( I put over 4000 miles on it in 30 days) and the mechanical seal on the water pump failed (it was making a whiney noise) and the one-way clutch on the starter also failed. I have to pull some parts for the starter cluch off my donor bike and drop it at the repair shop. Hopefully I get everything done before winter hits, that is the bike I want for my first ride in the spring.

Anyhow... what kind of Buick do you have? Im curious, my first car was a 72 skylark sun coupe, 350 ci, 4 speed auto w/shift kit, glass packs and shorty exhaust. It looked like grandma's car until I stepped on the gas! Anyhow... just curious what your buick of choice is...

Peace,

The Rev
Old 09-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtne87 View Post
Ebay
Region - USA.
ShadowCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ya, my Dad's venture is a great bike to ride. He's looking out for a cheap parts bike, he's gonna strip the plastics and cases and stuff, and I'm gonna make a chopper out of what's underneath. I think it's an great base for a fast comfortable unique chopper.

The buick I had was a 1972 four door Skylark. It had the 350. I rebuilt the engine with all hi-perf stuff, cam, large valves, ported heads, intake, etc. Rebuilt the auto trans with a B&M master overhaul/shift kit. Also upgraded the suspension, 1' drop springs all around, edlebrock IAS shocks, oversized sway bars front and back, polyurethane bushings all around, boxed the control arms. The thing moved fast and handled better than the 94 mustang I currently have.
Unfortunately it got hit while parked in front the the house hard enough to tweak the frame. I was able to part it out for more than I could have sold it for, being a four door. That was a few years ago, I just kept the screen name.
1981 Honda CB750F
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
2006 Yamaha FZ6 (sold)
1980 Yamaha XT500 (sold)
Old 10-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Very cool. I finally stripped the motor out of my parts bike this past weekend. I am bringing it when I finish this post to the shop to have my guy start pulling the one-way clutch for the starter out of it. I lost my skylark too. Woman ran a stop sign doing around 70... ripped the front end right off the car... the hood was bent up over the roof of the car. A truly sad day, I was just coming home from having a quote done to do a custom paint job. Saved me another 1800 bucks at the time.

I have given up on my 4 wheel projects for now. I have my venture which is project enough. Once I got all the plastics off the parts bike, what was underneath actually screamed bobber. The venture looks really cool naked... I actually think I have a pic of mine stripped. Tons of possibilities, if I ever decided to go that way. The rake and the dramatic bars on it (without the plastics) gives it a real mean look... and without the plastic... the engine looks HUGE.

Anyhow... gotta run to make the shop before 6. Keep the shiny side up.

Rev

Old 10-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Drove by Eddie's last week he's no longer in business.

2002 Shadow VT1100C
mtne87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement