New England bike shops - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New England bike shops

I am interested in reviews and experiences with local bike shops.

Central Mass Power Sports - formerly Sky Cycle. Located on the Fitchburg/Lunenburg line(MA). It is on my way to and from work, so for me it is all about location. Not a bad place, but not the cheapest.

Cycle Design - Phillipston, MA. Neither myself nor my friends have had any good experiences there. It is expensive and I dislike the approach the salespeople have. I won't go back.

Anderson Cycle - Framingham, MA. Very cheap, with very helpful staff. I would exclusively go there if it wasn't an hour away. It is hard to find the first time, but I have only had good experiences there.

Stone Cycle - Northboro, MA. Snobby, custom bike shop. If the owner hears that you own a Honda, he won't want to talk to you anymore. Very limited with clothing and accessories. Interesting custom bikes.

Performance Cycle - Shrewsbury, MA. Lots of bikes. No Honda parts. Decent selection of clothing.
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Danbury Powersports - Danbury, CT. Friendly, helpfull staff without being "in your face" trying to make a sale. Parts guy there is great! I mainly go here to poke around as it is close to me.

Libbys Motoworld - New Haven, CT. Where I bought my V Star from. Dan, the bike salesman, is very responsive and friendly. Girls in the office were great. Parts counter seems to be friendly and helpful. Large selection and many in stock items. After I made the deal for the Yamaha, I almost canceled it and went for a few Triumphs I saw there!

New Milford Motorsports - New Milford, CT. This is where the original owner of my Shadow had all the service done. He seemed happy with their work. Sales staff seems nice. Not too much "in stock" to see unless you want an ATV or dirtbike. Parts guys seem to be hit or miss. Sometimes you go in there and they are ready and willing to help. Other times you go in and the two kids at the parts counter won't help you until they finish their conversation about what they did the night before ... this could last for 5-10 minutes. When they do finally get to you, it is as if you are asking them to perform a miracle on your dead dog. Closer then Danbury, but most times not worth going in.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to kctrixter

Manchester Honda: no no no I have only dealt with them a few times but 40yrs ago the took my bike (my only transportation at the time) from June to Oct. problem was a bad carb, ok fine very long time ago, and also a long time ago, 20yrs ago they took my bike for 7 weeks, and when I kept screaming at them, the just gave it back to me in a basket. fixed it myself in 4hrs at home, bad starter it a a kick start so really it would have taken less than 20 min to put me back on the road.
Last year, looking to buy 2 bikes tried to talk to a sales guy, he didn't have the time to see what he could do (asked if he could match New England cycle works prices) he told me without cash on the table he really didn't have time to accommodate everyone just price checking (I did have cash just didn't tell him) seems like they Suc by tradition.

Have heard good things about Libbys.

Could go through a long list of just soso dealers but why bother.

I have bought my last two bikes from New England Cycle Works,(Groton CT) I asked about a trailer they offered to come to my house with one, to check fit for my 2 bikes, that's service, luv them, ask for Jeff tell him the guy with the bad driveway Kevin sent you. got my Sabre 2004 2600(about, don't remember exactly) miles march 2007 for $5k out the door bought an Aero 2007 new in march 2008 for $6k out the door. (actually $6500 but with $500 Honda bucks) and that included a switchblade windshield which we ended up just giving back (we tried 3) got back around $300
They called me up to let me know the 2008 Goldwing was out and to set aside a day for me to take it and go play. yeah I know since I bought 2 bike there for cash they think I'm rich. but in this day and age just to get a dealer to let you test drive a bike that you show your interested in buying, is a tough deal, it's nice to have one that will call you just to let you drive a bike that you have already said was not really for you.
Jeff told me that the Goldwing was the best he has, but he would set up a day for me to take any bike I wanted.
Lots of dealers in CT are competent but few go the extra mile.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Reverend Biker Send a message via MSN to Reverend Biker

Vally Motor Sports - Northampton MA: Jerry is a butthole. Walked in the door, cash in hand and treated me like a redheaded stepchild. I had never felt so thoroughly disrespected in my life. I saw in the last few years a complete turnover in floor staff. The parts guys and service are pretty good, but Jerry is enough to drive me away. I only go there if nobody else can help.

Popoli Honda - Westfield MA: Andy Popoli is the owner and earned my respect. My exhaust was damaged while it was in for new tires a few years back. I spoke with the service guy and he told me to have a seat out at their picnic table. A guy on a tricked out goldwing pulled up and started small talking me. I told him why I was just sitting around and not going on their thursday night cruise and said it was because my bike was damaged in service and they were trying to figure out what to do. He disappears inside and comes back five minutes later. He said... you can come with us... you are getting a new exhaust. Its on order and you have to come back in a week at your convenience. That was my introduction to Mr Popoli. They are realistic with their used bike prices, they have a decent new selection and they arent really pushy when you are looking. My only criticism is that they offered me nothing for my trade, which at the time, was pristine.

TCC - Tom's Custom Cycle Orange MA - Tom has gotten my business since I have moved up to this area. He had done a great job for me in the time I had him doing my service work. My only complaint is if parts are on back order, unless you become a pest he just forgets about you. I had a tire for my sabre on back order for 6 months. The pisser was I paid for it up front (had to put at least 50% down when you ordered, I paid it all). Other than that, he does custom work on harleys and imports and has a thing for old street bikes (there were a few 70's era hondas and suzukis outside his shop).

Cycle Design - Phillipston MA - It amazes me these idiots can stay open. I went out there to look at a 2004 leftover and they spent their time trying to sell me a 1983 Interstate that had a leaky tranny. Something wrong with that? The sales guy was pushy and was more into motocross than street bikes, so when he saw someone looking he bailed on me to talk with him. I left that day pissed and said I wouldnt go back. In truth, they are the closest Kawi dealer to me so I emailed them about a replacement key for my Chopper project... and they never returned the email. So I emailed them again... another week and no reply. THAT tells you how these people operate... if they don't see you walk in the door with a fist full of bills, they want nothing to do with you. Keep it that way and send them a message. Tell a friend.
Reverend Biker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've had great experience w/Valley Motorsports although i've never dealt with Jerry. Jake and Rich are great guys to deal with plus their service parts are very good also. I bought my '05 Foreman from then and got a recall notice about it and they got it in real quick and fixed the problem by the end of the day. I also bought an 05 XR650L from them and even after the 30 day warantee was up they did a minor adjustment on it for free plus they squeezed it in on short notice. My friend, his brother, and his dad bought their Foremans from them also cheaper than anyone else would sell it to them.

Motor Sports International in Auburn is ok but prices are really high not very willing to negotiate.

Kawasaki of Putnam SUCKS!!! My buddy almost got killed due to their negligence when he brought his Kawasaki LTD 1100 in for work and they didn't tighten the handle bar bolts which resulted in him flying off the bike when he hit a pothole @ 50mph. I took my old Yamaha Warrior to them a while back because the headlights were shutting off without warning. They had it twice and finally said all fixed. Went riding that night and while doing about 30mph down a trail the lights just shut off. Oh that was fun.

I've only been to Popoli's once but i did find their salesman very helpful and not pushy. I'd deal with them again any time.

My buddy bought his Suzuki Intruder 1500 from Shark Cycle and had mixed reviews about them. First off, they're way understaffed with 1 salesman and 1 mechanic. He had some minor issues that he brought it back for repairs and it took them over a week to change his tire and put license plate lights on. They're prices are ok but service sucks.
ICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Also bought my ride (99 Shadow Spirit) at New Englend Cycle Works in Groton, CT. Somewhat out of the way, but I did go back to test drive the VTX-1800 a couple years ago. The magazine ad, said, come on in and ride it, and ride it, I did. Kinda generous of them, because I was nowhere near purchasing it.

Usually get my maintenance done at Rayzee Cycles in Rhode Island. No problems. $65 charge to come get your ride if it turns up lame, and I live maybe 40 minutes away. (For a Rhode Islander, that's a long way.) About maintenance: I nursed a '72 CL-350 to 28900 miles doing all my own maintenance in the 70's, and spent the whole time wondering when it was going to disintegrate out from under me. No More! I just turn the bike over to someone I trust, and then I only have to worry about the (**&^*(&^ cagers.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.