Riding season - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Riding season

How long do most of you continue to ride before putting the bikes up. I plan on riding until the end of october if the weather permits. hope I can ride longer.

Frank

Old 09-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

I got my bike last Oct. and have ridden at least once a month since then. So I really don't fully store if for the winter.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Reverend Biker Send a message via MSN to Reverend Biker

I will usually ride until the first snow sticks. I made the mistake of taking the bike out last winter after it had snowed and they salt the hell out of the main road (Rt 202). I missed a few spots of salty-water and there was so much salt in it it trashed the chrome on my jardine foot pegs.

So, my rule is when they have to put the sand trucks out the first time, I add the sta-bil and put a few mothballs in the tail pipes and cover it up for the winter. I -did- take it out 2 years ago throughout dec and jan when it was in the 50's and 60's. But bad news, if you believe the farmers almanac...

Long, hard, cold winter ahead so enjoy the riding while you can. I will be going a few more nights this week while I still can.
Reverend Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've been lucky in that the Cape's weather is a bit milder in winter and we usually don't get quite as much snow as on the mainland. I've been able to ride year 'round, just not as much or as far as I can in summer. If I recall correctly, I think that I was only unable to ride in March this year. I bundle up and use heated gloves. This year I think I'll get a heated jacket liner or vest and some wind proof riding pants to be more comfortable. Heated grips are nice too, Iím told, but I wonít be investing in those any time soon.

If you ride in winter, enjoy the strange looks you get from cagers at stop lights. Also be aware that theyíre even less likely to see you when youíre riding around, since they donít expect it. Be extra careful.

Let's hope that Farmersí Almanac isnít accurate, Rev, and we donít get that snow. I have a 300+ ft. long driveway and I donít enjoy shoveling it.
TerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

I will ride untill they sand/salt the roads.. After that, the bike hibernates till they sweep it all up
xerxeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Like everyone else, it depends on the weather. Afternoons aren't bad but the morning commute sucks when it's in the 40's. But i just toss on some wool pants and a sweatshirt under my jacket plus some gloves(a must) and it's not bad at all. When the morning get into the 30's, well then it's time to call it a season and start hitting the trails on my quad.
ICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

yeah, i just lock 'er down end of oct, early nov and take my road insurance off so i don't have to pay while she sits. then she' back on the road early april...
Old 09-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't have a garage, so I have a Cycle Shell, and usually winter the bike in a shed after the usual take-down.

IIRC, last Winter there were "rideable days" about every 2 or 3 weeks. I'm tempted to keep it active all winter. Just make sure I turn it over every week or so. I live just a couple miles from the ocean in RI, so we seldom get big piles of snow.

Is there any "downside" potential for the battery if it's exposed to temperatures down to maybe +10F?
Old 09-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Reverend Biker Send a message via MSN to Reverend Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog49
Is there any "downside" potential for the battery if it's exposed to temperatures down to maybe +10F?
I have never had a problem. I live in Western MA and the winters get to minus 20 and even colder. I started the bike about once a month without fail. As long as the battery has a charge, it shouldn't freeze.

I purchased by bike used in 2003 from the original owner. He lived out on Cape Cod and what sold me on the bike... he rolled it out of the garage on a -25 degree February day and with half-choke it started on the first try. I made the cash offer on the spot.

The bad part about where I live... there were 4 foot high snowbanks at the end of the driveway when I took the bike out the first time this year and the last of the snow didnt melt until the beginning of april.

Being a chronic worrier about the bike starting on the first warm day... I bought a trickle charger from Harbor Freight. It kept the battery charged up and it started without a problem. If you can swing the $6 or $8 for the charger I would hightly recommend it. I'm not sure but you might be able to find it at: http://harborfreight.com/

Good luck.. .
Reverend Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to kctrixter

I didn't put mine up last year rode it every month, but this year I'll prob put it up when the days stop hitting the 50's