Honda Shadow Forums banner

Gas tank upgrades for 2006 VT750

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  davelisowski 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Just had a quick question about possibly getting a larger tank for my bike. Basically I'd like to be doing a lot of riding across the prairies in Canada and unfortunately the gas stations close around 8-10pm especially on weekends, and when that happens, it can easily be 400-500 kms between refueling points. but my max range is roughly 275kms. I have taken to carrying an extra 10L on me in my rucksack, but I was wondering anyone had any experience with either mounting a larger capacity tank from another bike, or getting a custom tank with a larger capacity. Fuel takes up a lot of room that could be used for clothing/necessary supplies and I'm not a big fan of refueling on the side of the road at night.

The current fuel capacity is 3.6 gallons, I was thinking somewhere just over 5 gallons might be nice. Is this realistic?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
A 5 or larger tank would be nice but unless it's a custom tank I don't think your going to find one that will fit, it's reasonable to think that if there was a tank that would fit it would be a Honda tank but even the 1100's don't come near that gallon wise to make it worth while. The aux tanks that are available do, as you say, take up a lot of room plus one thing that bothers me is that there mounted Hi on the luggage rack or seat, that's a lot of weight to be moveing back and forth while cornering. You might think about getting or makeing a trailer to haul extra gas and other stuff, the one major draw back is that with one you are required to ride in the center of a lane and at stop lights that can get interesting especially on a hot day when the grease and oil is nice and soft and slick as Hell. Good luck on your quest.

#3 ·
Gonzo put a valk tank on his 1100
http://www.gonzos-garage.com/Bike/Tanks/tanks_and_taillights.htm
A lot of work.

I have a tourtank on my bike. 3 gal, but lonestarrider has a 5 gal on his. Again, these are 1100s but they will work on your bike.
www.tourtank.com
These tanks sit up high, but have baffles inside to keep the gas from sloshing. I've ridden the twisties with a full tank and there's no problem. You do give up storage space, but I have a kurykan grand tour bag that sits on the pillion and has mega space.

Here is a pic of the setup with tank and bag

Here is just the tank.

I painted my tank to match the bike. Had it professionally done so the paint would not flake, dull, or blister. Looks nice too.

The tank is "removable", but takes about an hour to reconfigure. And and hour to put it back on.

#4 ·
Now that's a good alternative.

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely look into that. It's well placed to not interfere with my ruck and what with it being "removable". Beats have a gas can in your backpack or on a rack strapped with bungies.

How hard was it to install? I don't have much mechanical experience but I'm also not afraid to try stuff as long as its fairly straightforward.

#5 ·
It requires a honda line luggage rack that mounts to the frame and not the fender as the gas tank is too heavy for the fender.

When you order the tank, you can order all the parts to hook up the gas.

I have a cut off valve that "T's" into my gas line. It's near my gas switch, so no fumbling around for it. PM me if you want some pics.

But you run a gas line from teh tank to the T. You have a vapor line coming out of the top. My gas line goes alongside my seat-you can't see it. Vapor line drops down the back.

It will set you back $300 if you buy all new. But it's well worth it in my book. 100 miles is too often to stop in my book and there are places in west Texas where it's over 200 miles between gas stations....at least all night gas stations.

Good luck!

#7 ·
My uncle mounted Harley 5 gallon fat bob tanks to his chopped CB750 Four.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.