Honda Shadow Forums banner

Just Bought a Shadow

6K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  VTPete 
#1 ·
Hi. I'm rocketeer928, and this week I purchased a friend's 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 that is black with silver flames, and has about 9,625 miles on it. I got my motorcycle license back during college, but haven't ridden a bike in over 20 years. I plan to take a driving course in the spring before using the bike for commuting to work.

Still need to get a helmet and gear. I also plan to get saddle bags so I can transport my work gear.

The Shadow is a great looking bike, and being a Honda, I expect it to last many years.

#6 ·
Single-fire or Dual-fire Ignition?

I'm thinking about installing a tachometer on my new-to-me 2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2. Can someone tell me if it's a single-fire or a dual-fire ignition system?

Also, what is the rpm regulator set at? Is there a certain rpm that the engine will not exceed?

#13 ·
I'm thinking about installing a tachometer on my new-to-me 2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2. Can someone tell me if it's a single-fire or a dual-fire ignition system?

Also, what is the rpm regulator set at? Is there a certain rpm that the engine will not exceed?

I just read that because my Shadow Spirit uses a carburetor that it is a dual-fire ignition system. I'll either get a Baron tachometer for Christmas (though I doubt the wifey sprung for that), or I'll purchase and install it before spring.

It would be nice if someone could answer my questions about the RPMs.

#15 ·
Welcome, purty scoot!QUOTE]Thanks. I kinda wish the word "Shadow" wasn't across the tank, as it distracts from the nice look of the black tank with silver flames. I wouldn't mind if the model name was smaller and away from the flames or maybe a small Honda wing.

Hopefully, someone can fulfill my curiosity concerning my RPM questions.

#17 ·
Rocket...I have the Honda manual for your bike (and mine) but I do not know where to look to answer your question. I will look a little more.

#18 ·
Though I haven't ridden a bike for over 20 years, I do have my license. So, this weekend I'm taking the CT Beginner's Riding Course at a local community college. It's a very good and informative course. Gotta get my bike out of the shed and ready to ride.

#19 ·
I finally was able to get The Black Shadow out of the shed this afternoon.

I spent hours figuring out how to hook up my new Baron tachometer. I had the eurekaboy guidelines, but this step-by-step must have been done on a bike older than mine.

I could not find a dark blue and *********** wire at all. So, out came the shop manual and its wiring diagram. I figured that I've done wiring modifications on my other vehicles, so with time I could figure out where I need to wire up the tachometer. Tracing the wires from the ignition switch, there was a solid red wire, a blue/orange wire, and a red/blue wire. I already knew the red would be to the battery and would be constantly on, so tapping into that one would be a mistake. According to the wiring diagram, the blue/orange was for the cooling fan and the red/blue was for ignition. So, I tapped into the red/blue ignition wire with the separate red and blue wires from the tachometer.

The tachometer green wire was connected onto the negative front coil terminal, and the tachometer black wire was connected to the front coil ground terminal. Eureka! It worked!

This bike is still new to me. It was a pleasant surprise to find that I didn't have to drain the fuel to remove the tank.

After the tachometer was finished, I put the tank back on and then gave The Black Shadow a bath. Dried her off, installed the saddlebags and Mustang seat, and she was ready to go. However, I only got to drive her back into the shed. It was getting late, and I was tired and hungry. With tomorrow being Mother's Day, no chance for a ride Sunday. Hopefully, I can take her for a spin sometime after work this week. I want to get comfortable with my bike before I start commuting back and forth to work. Soon...

I also hope to have some updated pictures soon.

#22 ·
Were you able to get fully into your tachometer all the way to the plastic/glass covering it? I don't know how it happened but mine has some gunky smears or residue on the inside of it and I want it off but while putting things together after the paint job, could not find anything that let to it's removal.
If anyone knows, thanks a bunch!!

#28 ·
I was finally able to drive my motorcycle this afternoon for the first time ever. I drove a total of 57 miles over two trips. First, I drove through my town and the neighboring town, ending at home. Then I loaded up my saddlebags with my empty lunch bag, a pair of shoes, and a motorcycle half-cover, and made a trial run to my workplace and back on the roads I anticipate to take. Much fun...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.