Bike wont cold start - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bike wont cold start

Ive got a 2000 Honda shadow VT750C/D ACE and my bike hates cold starting. I didn't really notice the problem until after it finally started cooling down this winter. I'm in the military and I live in the barracks so my bike sleeps outside in the parking lot. Anytime it dips below 55 at night the next morning my bike wont cold start. It will turn over no problem but it wont fire. If I roll my bike to where it can sit in the sun for 10 minutes it still wont want to start, but after several attempts to crank it it will finally fire and a few more tries usually is enough to get it to warm up enough where it will start and keep running. I know vehicles by their very nature dont like the cold but this is ridiculous. Any thoughts?
spade2561 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I use full choke/fuel enrichment knob in the cold weather starts, no problems, of course mine's plugged into a battery tender, but it's still outside like yours.
In summer months, not so much or not at all.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cold Honda engines need the "choke" to start.

If the choke doesn't help, then the carb is dirty and needs cleaning.

Sometime using a fuel system cleaner will help. I use B12, Seafoam, or Techron most of the time in my Nighthawk. They do make a difference. It will take some time for the cleaner to have any effect (several tanks of gas burned). Use the recommended amount of cleaner. Make it a year-round use and don't wait until winter strikes.

And a fully charged battery is good to have.

Ride Safely,
1983 Shadow 500 - - Sold
2006 Ninja 500- - - - Sold
ExTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Even with full choke, mine doesn't seem to like weather below 45-deg, but after a few tries, she'll start. You definitely will want to use a good additive/cleaner like Seafoam or one of the other biggies. Lucas is pretty good stuff, just add a bit more than recommended... Lucas lists 3-oz per 10-gal as "recommended" concentration... so adding 1.5-oz into a full tank on your bike is not over-kill. Lucas is also safe to use on every fill-up, whereas some other additives shouldn't be used that often. Just be sure to keep the choke open a bit longer than normal so cleaner will make it through the slow jet / enrichment valve and do its job.

This may be a dumb question, but have you checked to see if your choke lever is actually operating the enrichment valve? If so, a good tank or two of cleaner may clean it up enough to get it working better without having to tear-down the carbs... At least that is what I'm hoping for on mine... don't want to rebuild them because of a little gunk on the slow jet as long as everything else is working as it should.

I don't know if anyone here as ever tried this on a bike before... but many years ago I had a diesel Mercedes that was running rough, didn't want to start when cold, etc... basically she needed a good cleaning, and my mechanic suggested (before tearing into the engine/fuel-system) that I buy a quart of RedLine diesel fuel cleaner. He suggested disconnecting the line from my fuel filter, dropping it right into the quart of RedLine... start the car and let it suck that quart dry. It ran like crap, died a couple of times, and smoked like a freight train.... BUT it worked... she ran like a brand new one after that "overkill treatment". Now, I'm NOT saying running straight RedLine or any other brand of gasoline fuel treatment will work for a gasoline motorcycle engine... just a thought though....
1999 CB750 NightHawk (son's ride)

"The Hardest Part About a Zombie Apocalypse, Will Be Pretending I'm Not Excited"

"I'm not behind you, I'm 21,565 miles in front of you, and about to lap you again!"

Earthling789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.