750 Shadow first bike? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 750 Shadow first bike?

Hi everyone.

I've been trolling these boards for a while and you all seem like a wise enough bunch to ask some advice from!

I'm 35 and finally gonna take the plunge and learn to ride and buy a bike.

I sold Honda cars for a few years and learnt that pretty much anything Honda makes is top quality. So a Honda bike it is.

The one I just love the look of is a Shadow 750 VTC. So I went into a local dealership and -wow - Honda bikes everywhere - I really felt like a kid again!

The salesman wanted to get me onto a 250CBR and that makes sense as a first bike - light, not too powerful. But I'm nearly 6'2. The gear changes and brakes felt really awkward on my feet. I just kept walking back to this sweet ex demo shadow.

So my question. Is getting a shadow straight away ok for a starter (who plans on respecting the power and danger of a bike) or am I loco crazy and need to just suck up a 250 for a year or two.

Thanks guys.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Default 750

Buy the 750. It is not overpowered by any means, but has plenty of get up. The carrying capacity is respectable. It's not a heavy touring bike, but will be adequate for a starter.

You will outgrow the 250 in a month.

2008 VT750CA-Eleanor

blinnen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

You will have No Problem learning on a 750.@ 6 ft 2 you may see the Need for Forward Extensions right away.I am 6 ft 1 and went with the 6 in versions
Old 03-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via MSN to SuperboyX

Welcome to the forum. The 750 should be your best bet for your starter bike. My 750 is my fourth bike and aside from wanting more power it fits me well and I'm happy. I'm 5'6" so forwards for you should be put on. Have fun.

***HondaShadow.Net Patch Order Info***

SuperboyX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

i started on a 83vt750c and never had any problems, go for it!
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Welcome. I'm also a newbie. I just bought my bike a month ago and sprung for the shadow 750 ace. It is no where near too much power and is a very comfortable ride. It is also a beautiful bike... Lol. Good choose.
autimatik_ace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

While I had prior riding experience, like 30+ years ago, it was sorta like starting over and the 750 Aero was a perfect choice. I'm an ole fart and at 5' 10" the bike felt neither too heavy nor underpowered to me. Sign up for a rider's class and enjoy the new Shadow.

tigrzeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

get what YOU WANT...DO NOT let the dealer talk you into getting something you'll regret riding off on in the first cpl miles..the 750 is and would be a great bike for anyone to start on. in my opinion,a person has to learn to ride sometime,why not get something you'll be comfortable on and will keep for a few yrs or so?

2003 vlx 600

Freedom to ride is brought to us by the men and women who gave their lives serving our country and those who continue to serve.THANK YOU!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPHJFEcrHQ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4h7AQArOCU
craig s. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am 35, and my 750 Aero is my first bike. It rides at 70-80mph just fine, although it really needs a 6th gear, or even a taller 5th gear for highway riding. I ride 2-up with my wife all the time and the only thing I have to do is roll on a little more throttle to make up for the added weight.

I went down to the dealer today and the sales guy pointed out something...the price for the new Shadows has jumped up about a grand or so...
Kitulu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

i'll agree with most here in that the 750 will be just fine to start on.

BUT, i'll go against the folks saying to put forwards on it. I'm 6'2" myself and never felt cramped on either of my shadow spirits (750 + 1100).

spirits already have their controls in forward position. anymore forward and you may as well be happy with less control over the bike. you aint riding a recliner couch.

good luck with your choice, take the safety class, have fun and be safe.

2003 Yamaha FZ1 (gen1) "Lisbeth"
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C - SOLD

::: I'M A DENIM DEMON :::
halouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.