1986 vt1100c in progress! - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1986 vt1100c in progress!

Hey guys! This is my second post to the board...just wanted to share the progress on my 86 vt1100c.

Still looking for a set of buckhorns, or stock looking bars with that elusive 1" to 7/8" taper...impossible to find! If anyone has suggestions on where to find a set....PLEASE SHARE or pm.

I've started the "restoration process" bike looked like this when I got it.

Here's my progress so far.

Not too crazy about the seat. I'm pretty sure it used to be someone's jacket. But honestly, in my 20 or so years of riding, and of the 4 bikes I've owned over the years, and the 4 I have now...it's the most comfortable seat I've ever had. I'll have it recovered at some point, but I'm not in a super rush. I have a microbus project I'm working on too, so I have so I have to spend a little on each at a time.

Searching for bars, and I just ordered a new back fender with custom turn signals. I'll add more photos as I so more to it.

I shortened the bottom pipe by a foot or a little more, and obviously painted the bike to change that horrible dark blue. Well, the color was OK, but the paint job wasn't great.

I like the flat black with the red accents. My wife is an amazing, published artist, so I'm considering having her do some flames or a logo on the tank.

I'd be anxious to hear everyone's opinion, and sorry for the novel!

Again, any suggestions for a source for handlebars would be appreciated. I'm trying to make the bike as stock as possible whilst still adding my own touches
jshlnrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's looking good! I may have a stock pair of buck horns off of my 87 Vt1100... pretty sure they are 1" to the 7/8" taper. I will have a look and see...

Last edited by tazman1313; 07-09-2012 at 10:20 PM.
tazman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman1313 View Post
It's looking good! I may have a stock pair of buck horns off of my 87 Vt1100... pretty sure they are 1" to the 7/8" taper. I will have a look and see...

That would be awesome! I'd gladly buy them and pay the shipping. I was thinking they only did that weird taper in 85-85 but if you have a set that's 1" at the riser and 7/8" at the controls, I'd love to buy them ASAP!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

So I decided I didn't like the red that I went with on the accents and the center pannel. Tore it all down, repainted the red with more of a sunrise color, and put another coat of the matte black on the tank. It's pouring rain in east Tennessee today, so I'll get it back together tomorrow morning and post pictures. I also ordered a new set of medium buckhorns (went with the 7/8 bars and ordered a set of shims from lowbrow) also ordered some skull grips.

It'll be pretty much complete once the bars come in and the new rear fender I ordered.

I'm also experimenting on the bottom of the seat with some black liquid shoe polish to see if it will dye the seat without rubbing off on my butt. That'll be a short term fix on that brown suede seat (which I'm pretty sure used to be someone's jacket, but is super comfortable) until I can afford to have it re-covered
Old 07-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

One more thing. I need opinions. Should I paint the sissy bar red, chrome it, or paint it flat black?

Also...red center stripes on fenders? Yes or no?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default more!

If anybody cares...here's what I have so far. Got some shims from lowbrowcustoms, changed the paint scheme, died the seat...

Before

Now

One bolt is stripped on the left back fin cover, so I'm going to have to brush paint it. I have the paint, I just wanted to get it back together so I could ride

I also bought a new back fender on ebay with some led tail lights on u
It and drilled it out for my license plate
Old 10-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

So how much was that bar/what did you end up doing? I have an 86 with (what I believe) is the original bar and I cannot stand it. Too narrow and I'm looking for something wider/lower. Both those bars you have on that thing look much more like what I want. Thanks, and sweet ride!
miragebass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Nice bike man..I have an 86 vt1100 also. I had a buddy give me my drag bars...the are 1" and I ended up cutting the tapers off my old bars and cutting a bit off the drag pars and welding the tapered part onto the drag bars so I could use my stock controls.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1351133909779.jpg
Views:	1538
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	8321 the 7/8 tapered part fit inside the 1" bar snug enough to weld everything together

current ride: 86 vt1100c previous rides: 93 vt1100c, 91 vulcan 750, cb400f super sport, kx250, xr500, yz 490, xr100
Old 10-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Here's mine

current ride: 86 vt1100c previous rides: 93 vt1100c, 91 vulcan 750, cb400f super sport, kx250, xr500, yz 490, xr100
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1351134106915.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	8323  
Old 11-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miragebass View Post
So how much was that bar/what did you end up doing? I have an 86 with (what I believe) is the original bar and I cannot stand it. Too narrow and I'm looking for something wider/lower. Both those bars you have on that thing look much more like what I want. Thanks, and sweet ride!

Thanks miragebass!!!

I've actually had 4 different sets of bars on mine now, and am finally happy with what I have.

I ended up ordering a set of shims from lowbrowcustoms that fit in the risers and allow me to use any standard 7/8 bars. After trying a couple of sets off of old triumphs that I bought used at a local bike shop that has been in business FOREVER, I ended up with a set of bars called lane splitters, from a company called TC Custom Choppers.

Those guys were great.

Here are the stages that this bike has been through since I've had it. I'm finally happy with how it looks, and it really turns heads!!!

I've actually been meaning to sell all of these other sets of handlebars i have laying around on Ebay...but I've been too busy working on this bike lol

When I got it

These handlebars were custom made by the original owner..more of a cafe racer style that I am just not that in to

Same bars, Flat Black Paint job. I didn't paint the rear fender, because i had ordered new one

Version 2.0 with flat black paint, and wide, low handlebars.

Version 3 (current..I don't have any pics of it with the third set of bars...low bucks) satin paint, TC lane splitter handlebars...replaced rear fender and replaced tail light with custom tail light, also from TC Bros custom choppers.

Also added new LED rear turn signals, that were mounted on the new fender when I got it. The fender with the lights was only 25 bucks on ebay, and I couldnt have even gotten the lights for that price!!! Also put on new brake and clutch levers and got rid of the suede wrapped ones that were on it before.

Last edited by jshlnrd; 11-05-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.