jet/carb/exhaust question - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default jet/carb/exhaust question

After 7 years of marriage finally talked my wife into not being extremely upset if I bought a bike. So I grabbed a 03 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 w/ 4400 miles. Got a good deal because it didn't run. Guy swore it was the carbs. (interesting thing is he said he paid someone $300 to clean the carbs and install battery and some extra chrome on the bike 4 months ago. Then he just let it sit and now it won't start. So after reading this forum and calling everyone I knew who had a bike I:

Drained the tank and carbs - checked for rust with mirror.
filled with new gas and seafoam.

tryed to start for a second and then just turned over.

Next I charged the battery and pulled the carbs and cleaned them just like I read to do. Both pilot jets were clogged and one of the main were clogged. One carb was much worse then the other one. It had a really sticky float valve that I got moving smoothly.
Then I replaced the plugs, air filter, and a gas line because I tore a hole in it while I was taking it off.

Now the bike starts up with the choke on but if I move the choke at all it will die. I can give it gas but it back fires and trys to die as well.

I read on here that it could be a leak around the carbs so I sprayed for carb cleaner(not sure what I was looking for) on the boots and didn't notice anything going on.

So first question is. What next?

Second question is. The bike has a vance and hines exhaust on it. (installed when the bike was first purchased and they rejetted it at that time. If I need to replace the jets... which is what I am guessing will be the next thing for me to do. What size do I need to get? I am sure there is some information somewhere on this. If you could point me to it that would be great.

Thanks for any help. I am really excited I got a bike but now I am starting to regret the bike I bought. I am taking a motorcycle training course next weekend and would love to have this bike going so I could start driving it before the weather turns bad.
jah2707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Sorry for starting two posts. Since the first didn't show up I thought I needed to introduce myself first...Either way any help? I have ready every post I can find on this and I think I have done everything I need to so far. Just kinda stuck right now.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

The jets should have numbers on them telling there size ? Shouldnt need to replace really simple to clean with good soaking and a straight pen on a tip cleaner for cleaning cutting torch tips just dont use anything to big that will ream out of change the size of hole take your time and use a little TLC good luck
channey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have an 03 spirit 750 with Cobra Strretrods pipes no baffles - 104 front jet 106 rear jet (Dyno Jets) as marked on each one and the slow jet is the stock 40 - i had to completely restore my fuel system this summer because of rust in the fuel system - this included all new filters air filter & sub air filter and fuel filter - new fuel pump - lines - cleaned and sealed the tank - completely tore down the carbs and cleaned them & synced the carbs - set the air fuel screws to 2 3/8 turns out and the bike runs like new no choke/fuel enrichment needed even in the 30's F temps........p.s. the stock jets are 105 & 108 they were changed to the 104 & 106 when the p.o. put the Cobras on it.

Last edited by weracerc; 11-02-2012 at 10:34 AM.
weracerc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Very helpful. pulled the carbs this morning and I will check the sizes when I get home. I pulled them because I went to drain the gas out of them )just to see what it looked like) and the right side had no gas in it? I am replacing the float valve today and I hope it fixes it.

I need to check the air fuel screws when I get home as well. Is that what they call the pilot screw in the manual?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

see page 5-9 (exploded view of the carb(s)) on the honda VT750 repair manual - yes it is called the pilot screw
weracerc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Whether or not you need to rejet at this point depends on what jets it has now and how it runs. While you are in the process of cleaning, and adjusting the carbs, make NOTE of the jet sizes and whether or not the needle is OEM or Dynojet. Do not decide on rejetting till you get the bike running. FWI, based on the burnt exhaust you either gave aleak at the mufflers or are jetted lean. This would lead me to believe the jets are now OEM. Set the pilots 1 to 1 1/2 turn out from the setting ing your manual, as a starting point. Have the battery load tested, just to verify. Fully recharge the battery and keep it on a trickle till you get the bike running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah2707 View Post
After 7 years of marriage finally talked my wife into not being extremely upset if I bought a bike. So I grabbed a 03 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 w/ 4400 miles. Got a good deal because it didn't run. Guy swore it was the carbs. (interesting thing is he said he paid someone $300 to clean the carbs and install battery and some extra chrome on the bike 4 months ago. Then he just let it sit and now it won't start. So after reading this forum and calling everyone I knew who had a bike I:

Drained the tank and carbs - checked for rust with mirror.
filled with new gas and seafoam.

tryed to start for a second and then just turned over. What was voltage? was fuel pump pumping? Are the Run/Stop and starter switches cleaned? This sounds like either weak electrical or lack of fuel.

Next I charged the battery and pulled the carbs and cleaned them just like I read to do. Both pilot jets were clogged and one of the main were clogged. One carb was much worse then the other one. It had a really sticky float valve that I got moving smoothly.
Then I replaced the plugs, air filter, and a gas line because I tore a hole in it while I was taking it off. If carbs had been previously rebuilt. I'm thinking there is rust/dirt somewhere in the fuel supply/storage system, lines, pump, filter

Now the bike starts up with the choke on but if I move the choke at all it will die. I can give it gas but it back fires and trys to die as well. This is normalish, if the motor is not warm. Or carbs are not gettung fuel. Floats are a Biatch, getting them adjusted correctly can be dificult and they like to jam and get hung up during installation. Sometime the fix for your issue is to pull the carbs, and reinstall, the jarring will knock the float valve into, out of place

I read on here that it could be a leak around the carbs so I sprayed for carb cleaner(not sure what I was looking for) on the boots and didn't notice anything going on. If you have a leak the idle will change. Have to have it running for this test.

So first question is. What next? Test ignition

Second question is. The bike has a vance and hines exhaust on it. (installed when the bike was first purchased and they rejetted it at that time. If I need to replace the jets... which is what I am guessing will be the next thing for me to do. What size do I need to get? I am sure there is some information somewhere on this. If you could point me to it that would be great. You do the exhaust or the PO????

Thanks for any help. I am really excited I got a bike but now I am starting to regret the bike I bought. I am taking a motorcycle training course next weekend and would love to have this bike going so I could start driving it before the weather turns bad.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post pics of the jets # stamps.. This is because the number itself doesn't mean anything unless you know who MADE the jets. I would need to SEE the jet# Stamp to ID the jet size.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

I was bring the camera home and take some pictures. I know I have had to charge the battery twice because it dies. I wonder if it is a bad battery (or a weak one) I need to buy a charger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.