Buying advice - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I was thinking of an 1100 but I feel more comfortable starting out on a 750 and upgrading in the next year or two after getting some more experience.

I've been offered a couple of test rides and I was surprised. Alot of people told me that doesn't happen with bikes. Is it that weird to go on a test ride?

Also, the only safety gear I'm missing is a helmet. I want a full face helmet but snell approved and bluetooth possibilities would be a plus. A couple of my sport bike friends have Shoeis, which are okay priced on craigslist but I'm not sure thats the route for me, suggestions are welcome.
matrixfan0831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

After buying multiple helmets, the best most versatile all around helmet was a flip-up helmet. It allows me to don the thing without taking off my glasses. Also nice to just have the face open in town. Since you're just starting out, just buy a cheap one, and then start looking for the perfect one. The cheep one will be your loaner/passenger helmet.

I ended up using a 3/4 open face helmet, with the flip helmet available for cold weather and rain.
justinmahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

I didn't find much in the way of test rides here around Atlanta. Seems like test rides are uncommon, but i'm still pretty new to this whole cycle thing.
suprawynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Monterey10

I had a 90s and 2005 VT1100. I tried an early model VTX with carbs and really didn't like it. I'm tall and the "apes" on the VT1100c Spirit just work right for me. Personally, I don't see a lot of difference between the 750 and 1100. Some would argue that the 1100 is easier to ride because it has more torque.

The best bike in the world is a super clean used bike at a reduce price. (if it's not perfect DONT buy it) This leaves you some money for safety gear, a windshield, crash bars and what ever pleases you.
Monterey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

My 09 Aero that I traded in was on the dealer floor for $5899 but they had it on sale a couple weeks ago for $4899. Mine had 6300 miles on it with a windshield, V&H exhaust, Saddleman bags, Kury ISO grips and pegs, and other accesories on it. So you should be in that range for an 09.

tigrzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement