#1 Jammit's new 85 VT700 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default #1 Jammit's new 85 VT700

bought this bike off a guy locally via CL a week ago as a winter project. It's a good runner, and it's complete. Needs maintenance stuff, cleanup, some paint and polish.

I'm a regular contributor in a number of forums for my various hobbies (F150 pickup, HAM and Scanner radios, Honda Accords, etc).

Over the next few months, I'll systematically work through every possible maintenance item on this bike, and repair the few odds and ends. It needs all 4 turn signal stems (got the fronts coming, but having a hard time finding rears...if anyone has any leads on that, much appreciated). May have to do some rust remediation in the tank...gotta find someone with a scope! It needs tires before riding season. Plan to do this bike as a resto-mod style, and either flip it for profit in the spring, or maybe just keep it if I fall in love with it.

look forward to getting to know you folks,
Jammit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85 vt700.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	8558  
Jammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Greetings from salt lake I'm new around these parts as well.

bought an 84 vt700c myself last week, been having a blast cruising around on my first bike. I'm an amateur mechanic (know next to nothing about engines and mechanical maintenance) but im a die-hard DIY-er, so I'm looking forward to systematically taking apart and cleaning/polishing everything myself this winter. I've already swapped my exhaust pipes out for the MAC 2-into-2 system, which I was surprised at how easy it was for not coming with any instructions.

I also think I may have some slight rusting in my gas tank, but I don't suspect any performance issues...yet. except some very, very slight popping on decel.

Good luck with your maintenance and post pictures!
proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Looking forward to seeing pictures of progress. I have a 85 VT500, but I just went bigger to a 06 VT750 Shadow Spirit. Love the looks of the older 500 and 750.
da59man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via MSN to SuperboyX

Welcome to the Forum.

***HondaShadow.Net Patch Order Info***

SuperboyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proto View Post
Greetings from salt lake I'm new around these parts as well.

bought an 84 vt700c myself last week, been having a blast cruising around on my first bike. I'm an amateur mechanic (know next to nothing about engines and mechanical maintenance) but im a die-hard DIY-er, so I'm looking forward to systematically taking apart and cleaning/polishing everything myself this winter. I've already swapped my exhaust pipes out for the MAC 2-into-2 system, which I was surprised at how easy it was for not coming with any instructions.

I also think I may have some slight rusting in my gas tank, but I don't suspect any performance issues...yet. except some very, very slight popping on decel.

Good luck with your maintenance and post pictures!
Is the Mac exhaust worth the $300 bucks? My bike has an unmolested (not holesawed) exhaust which is good and not leaky ,but it does have a little rust hole on one side near the tip. I am considering replacing it with the MAC and selling off the original to someone who wants to go original - i'm aiming for 'restomod' with this project. Does it sound good? does it look OK with nothing on the left side?

Thanks for the response - will get project pics up, and hope you do too as we progress through the winter. Nice to have someone else at the same stage on a project!
Jammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

I feel like it was totally worth it to me. I can post pics of my install if you like, there's a youtube video floating around with what it sounds like and its pretty accurate - and they are quite loud. I don't feel like they are too loud for me, but you will definitely turn heads revving the engine. from what I've read, the sound will mellow out with a bit of age...but for now I love the sound. I also love the look of the slash cuts and the staggered exhausts on the right side. It makes it feel like a bit more modern.

Just make sure you use the stock heatshields or you WILL burn yourself through pants!

here's the youtube video of roughly what it sounds like:

One last thing, with the stock exhausts I had to dig around with my foot when dismounting for the kickstand since it's kind of underneath the exhaust. with this setup it sticks out much better and it's a lot easier for me to kick out the kickstand.

Last edited by proto; 11-07-2012 at 12:34 AM.
proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement