New here and already confessing my sins - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

I rode my Ninja in the Winter and will do the same with the Shadow.
"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" President John F. Kennedy, 1 August 1963.

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 ACE
Carl722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowseeker

Welcome Karen. Sorry to hear that you're having so many problems with your bike. Hope you get things figured out on whether to fix yours or replace.

Shadowseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks again for all the comments.

I was able to get all the gas/oil out of everything, took out the plugs and then used the starter to crank the engine. The engine will turn over now, as I think most of the gas has made it's way out of various places.

The one thing that I wonder most, before I put any "real" effort into it, is whether the seal that was breached going into where the stator is, is bad now. I know there's not supposed to be gas in there, but did the gas ruin the seal? I haven't found much to read regarding that. Do I have to get into the motor to find out? That would be the deal breaker for me I guess.

Since the bike isn't worth much running, and less now, it might not be worth making it my first project.

Still, I'm interested in comments. Thanks all!
justdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb069 View Post
Hi Karen, It sounds like you have significant issues with this bike up to the point where it may be considered a mechanical hobby in restoration. If you are looking for a hobby/project to learn from and are willing to invest the time and money in parts, tools, training, manuals, etc then go ahead. If you are now looking to enjoy riding I would seek a replacement that has a better maintenance record or newer bike. Personnaly thats not the type of bike to be an interesting restoration so I would replace.

G.
Thank you. I think you may be right. I'm not experienced enough to make it cost effective I don't think. But man, I have really liked this bike. Live and learn..
Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowhoss View Post
What was your bother's advice?

If you were able to get the engine to turn after you drained the gas from the cylinders (un-hydrolocking the engine), then you might be okay with a carb rebuild, an oil change, fuel filter; new fuel lines and a tank liner.
But if the engine is really seized, then not a good situation...Good luck.

He said basically the same thing, unless the gas did damage to the seals in the motor... Like I was mentioning about the stator...
Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Have fun here its a great place
Ribman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Does anybody have an opinion about whether the seal that seals off the stator would be damaged if gas leaked through it into the stator compartment? All ideas welcome!!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

I am not sure about the seal at the stator, but after looking at the manual on my Antique 83 shadow, I don't think that would be a problem once the carbs are fixed. Yours must be the REASON for turning the petcock off for the fuel. I have heard if the carbs malfunction that it could flood the engine.
You have had this bike for 10 years and only put 1400 miles on it???
It is clear to me that the person who worked on your bike did a poor job.
With winter coming on, if you have a shop in your area that you could trust, I would ask for their opinion. At 4200 miles, the bike isn't even broke in yet. I turned 51,000 on mine this week.
If you really like this bike, it may be worth putting some money into or see what it would cost to replace it.
I think you could get by with the carbs cleaned and synched, tune up and oil change.
So many people say get a newer bike, mine is an 83 with 51k miles and I would not hesitate to take her anywhere right now. She is my daily commute, 50 miles a day and the girl still knows how to pick her skirt up and run!!!
akachile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akachile1 View Post
I am not sure about the seal at the stator, but after looking at the manual on my Antique 83 shadow, I don't think that would be a problem once the carbs are fixed. Yours must be the REASON for turning the petcock off for the fuel. I have heard if the carbs malfunction that it could flood the engine.
You have had this bike for 10 years and only put 1400 miles on it???
It is clear to me that the person who worked on your bike did a poor job.
With winter coming on, if you have a shop in your area that you could trust, I would ask for their opinion. At 4200 miles, the bike isn't even broke in yet. I turned 51,000 on mine this week.
If you really like this bike, it may be worth putting some money into or see what it would cost to replace it.
I think you could get by with the carbs cleaned and synched, tune up and oil change.
So many people say get a newer bike, mine is an 83 with 51k miles and I would not hesitate to take her anywhere right now. She is my daily commute, 50 miles a day and the girl still knows how to pick her skirt up and run!!!

Hey, Thanks so much! Yeah, you know, my bike does look brand new. It's been garaged all these years and I really only rode it around in the summer months until I messed up my neck a couple years ago. It has never been my main mode of transportation due to my lifestyle (mom with 3 kids.) But everybody is grown now and things are better now and I really want to ride. So, yeah, there are several reputable shops in my area and I think I'll call somebody on Monday. I appreciate your comment!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement