3rd X: Throttle blipping - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 02:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

More on the topic ...
Kuryakyn ISO-Grips, stock end caps, Dually ISO-Pegs, Master Cylinder Cover
Show Chrome Accessories Air Filter Cover
Diamond Plate Chrome Motorcycle Cup Holder
Jafrum SD 2051 Leather Studded Saddlebags / Street & Steel Saddlebag Support
Custom World International Turn Signal Relocator
Ride Bells thanks to my Better Half

kokopellioh is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Some people call it 'blipping', I call it 'douchebaggery'.
To each his own...

HoosierDave
HoosierDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarslinger View Post
In the early days throttle blipping was necessary to prevent a potentially damaging back-fire due to uncombusted fuel in the exhaust. That's not a problem anymore. Is there any more ubiquitous sound associated with the presence of a motorcycle? Is there anyone here who does not blip?
Throttle blipping was never necessary for a properly tuned Motorcycle or vehicle, and blipping the throttle would cause the backfire not prevent it.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

It may be OLD SCHOOL, but blipping the throttle for a down shift, is something I still do, without thinking about it. I don't find myself doing it a lights much though. I will do it if I am on a hill at a set of lights though. Don't know why I do it. Just an old habit I guess.

It may come from the dirt riding days, or riding on track. But when down shifting, bringing the Rpm's up to match your speed will keep you from having the rear tire brake loose in a turn. I don't ride that fast on the street anymore, so it's not imperative. I do however still find myself doing it out of habit.

Vance & Hines Long Exhaust .
K&N air filter
Dom.Five is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

Why is mastering the art of riding a motorcycle a "douchbag move", maybe you''re not pushing hard enough. Read any book on advanced riding, there are a lot of techniques used to be in the right gear at the right speed at the right time, or you can just putt around and ignore it all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Jmplogin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #16 (permalink)

Hang around a race track for a while. You will certainly find riders blipping, but it won't be the fast guys doing it. It is just a poor riding technique and totally not necessary. Ill repeat, if you need to blip to dcownshift you're going too fast for the gear youre trying to get into.

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDETHEREJK View Post
So how do you match your engine speed with your tranny speed without giving it throttle? Any increase in throttle would be a blip. A blip doesn't mean rev the hell out of the bike. The blip should be small and quick. And yes, on the KTM, I do it at a high rpm while riding hard on back roads. I also use the front brake till I'm halfway through a turn. I guess that's a noob move too.
Man, I hardly ever hear about trail braking on this thread! Not to mention KTMs

Oh and yeah, I never blip my Shadow. Seems about as pointless as revving my electric weed whacker. I rev to match rpms though but I don't consider that blipping.

1995 ACE VT1100C2
1975 CB550Four
1994 Toyota 4x4 22RE 5speed
rieckena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

From what I understand, the whole reason for a slipper clutch is so you don't have to blip the throttle to match the rpm with the tranny. This keeps the rear tire from chattering as you enter a turn. If that is right, and your bike doesn't have a slipper clutch, then you should be blipping the throttle. While riding hard that is. Correct? Some have said that it isn't needed and there are better ways to match the revs, but no one has said how. I know this is not a "High Performance" forum, but please give advice if you know a better way. I am here to dicuss and learn.

08 Ktm 690 SMC
03 Honda Shadow 750 ACE
RIDETHEREJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDETHEREJK View Post
Some have said that it isn't needed and there are better ways to match the revs, but no one has said how. I know this is not a "High Performance" forum, but please give advice if you know a better way. I am here to dicuss and learn.
Again, go to a MotoCross track or a road course and see how the fast guys are riding. The really fast guys don't have time to screw around with blipping.
If you're on the pipe in the proper gear, you're already in the right gear to use engine braking.

Your tranny doesn't really care if the engine is turning to match its speed or not. You should be using the clutch to modulate wheel slip when high performance downshifting anyways. If your just banging down a gear and dumping the clutch...you're doing it wrong.

I started riding in the 60's. I've spent many years racing MX and ice/flat track. I only sometimes made it to the podium, but the guys that I rode with did, often. I watched what the fast guys did and learned.

If you're just riding aggressively, I suppose blipping won't waste any time that matters even though it's not really helping performance. In a racing environment anything you can do to shave time matters, so screwing around with the throttle will hurt your lap times.

You certainly can and will ride how ever you like....but that won't change the fact that fast riders don't blip.

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

I'm not a racer and have no plans to be one. I have read and been told about matching the revs with a small blip many times. I do understand what you are saying and think that when it gets nice out, I'll have to try it out. I don't like pushing it in cold weather or deer season for that matter.

08 Ktm 690 SMC
03 Honda Shadow 750 ACE
RIDETHEREJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.