3rd X: Throttle blipping - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

I blip when I downshift, because if I don't the engine goes WROAAAMMM and I lurch forward like a noob. When I have plenty of time to downshift, I'll let the RPMs calm down on their own, but sometimes I gotta downshift fast. Upcoming traffic lights and such.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
tmoldovan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat803 View Post
Hang around a race track for a while. You will certainly find riders blipping, but it won't be the fast guys doing it. It is just a poor riding technique and totally not necessary. Ill repeat, if you need to blip to dcownshift you're going too fast for the gear youre trying to get into.
Gotta disagree. You can look up keith code's "twist of the wrist" if you don't trust my credentials. If your bike isn't equipped with a back-torque limiting clutch or if it is but you've instead heavier springs and effectively disabled it and you're really pushing the bike, you should be blipping on downshifts for decel. Front brake will stand the bike back up and put you wide. Trail braking with the rear is good, but brakes fade. Dragging the clutch just wears it out faster. If you're a skilled rider you can give the throttle an 1/8 second blip while downshifting and if you're really good and have a crisp tranny you can do it without the clutch at all. Failing to blip while downshifting hard will result in wheel hop.

Now you can disagree with that till you're blue in the face but I was taught this by a pro at a track. I've got quite a bit of saddle time in on 120+ hp sport bikes on some damn technical roads and tracks. My tl1000 has a slipper clutch but with the Barnett spring kit I still have to blip, even if I'm only shifting down into 7k rpm. It's a big motor and compression lock happens pretty easily.
SkullCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

Garage

I can't believe some of the stuff people argue about here.

Live to ride.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruntfish View Post
I can't believe some of the stuff people argue about here.

Live to ride.
Amen
Old 11-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #25 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDETHEREJK View Post
From what I understand, the whole reason for a slipper clutch is so you don't have to blip the throttle to match the rpm with the tranny. This keeps the rear tire from chattering as you enter a turn. If that is right, and your bike doesn't have a slipper clutch, then you should be blipping the throttle. While riding hard that is. Correct? Some have said that it isn't needed and there are better ways to match the revs, but no one has said how. I know this is not a "High Performance" forum, but please give advice if you know a better way. I am here to dicuss and learn.
Without a slipper clutch a hard shift that doesn't match rpms can sometimes cause the trans to 'stick' and lock the rear tire. The advantage to racing especially is the need to aggressively downshift in corners where you're leaning way over and a momentarily lock of the rear tire = road rash.

It's useful for everybody, but it's wreck saving for guys leaning a bike over and downshifting at the same time. The slipper clutch prevents the clutch from engaging if the revs are not matched. Matching revs manually is still the best way to downshift, but with a slipper clutch you don't lock the rear when you goof it and can be more aggressive in high speed corners or just more comfortable downshifting into stop lights.
ZackDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.