dying to ride - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default dying to ride

so im a new member who just recently purchased a 83 honda shadow for 800 and the inconsistency of the bike is slowly killing me but I'm not giving u on it, i just don't have to much knowledge of motorcycles but I'm learning.

Does anyone have any advice on how to map this bike run right day to day heres a list of whats been done and what still needs to be done.

DONE
new battery
replaced stator
replaced regulator
changed cab orator diaphragm that was ripped

To be DONE
new ignition coil
spark plugs oil change
and maybe fixing the clutch cable

now the bike who run sometimes whenever it feels like it and sometimes it would just stop once the revs get to low. some days it just won't start. some day it will start but once i get in the friction zone give it gas then release the clutch it'll shut off, ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

I'm ready to get my swerve on, and possibly help others on this forum in the future. PEACE
83shadowVLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

If its been sitting for awhile, you probably need to clean the carburetor.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

2006 Shadow Aero 750
Switchblade windshield, Cobra Floorboards, Saddlemen Hardback Quick-Release Bags, Light Bar, Wind Diverters, Highway Bars, ISO Grips, Chrome Radiator Cover, Raised Handlebars, Vance & Hines Straight Shots, Freeway Blasters
droland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Where are you at? There may be someone here that lives close. If you add your location to your profile, you might get some local help.

Where have you gotten the list of things to do from? Just changing parts usually won't fix a thing. If you don't have a service manual, you need to get one. Follow the trouble shooting directions. They will save you a lot of money. The guy that I got my 96 Shadow VT1100 from (including the service manual)had been told that it needed a complete charging system. I followed the trouble shooting route. It cost me about $75 for a Reg/rectifier and repaired the connectors on the yellow wires and the problem was taken care of.

Basically it sounds to me like you have a carb problem. Cleaning and setting the idle should make a big difference. That's cheap enough if you have a manual and use PineSol to soak it in.

1996shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

might man im in boston and thanks a lot i will find a service manual then, and in the manual theres a way to find out whats wrong with the bike or something like that? I'm new to this so I'm a little lost
83shadowVLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement