Out with the Rebel... - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I took a look at some of the ACE 750's for sale around here, HARPOMATIC...holy hogs those are some sharp looking bikes. There are some decent deals in the area so I am considering the 750 but I'm a pretty conservative rider and don't ever want to feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew. I expect I'll outgrow a 600 in time but I've been on the Reb for 3 1/2 years so I think I could hang onto it for a while. I hope to be on my new ride by first of the year and hoping that my timing means better prices! Your continued input is invaluable, thanks for the responses.
whitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

If you're happy with a Rebel, you'll be ecstatic with a 750. What's your hight/weight?
justinmahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

stocky 5-7 200/ 30-inseam. Gotta love those low Shadows.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Yeah a 750 should be about right for you. Of course you may fall in love with something else. Do spend some time comparing the different models, so you can find something that just *fits*. Sit on them, and ride them if you can before purchase.
justinmahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have a 750 Phantom and have done 900 mile hwy trips and it does all I want it to do. I'm 5'9 190 lbs and I had it rolling at 95 across a bridge the other day and it was still gaining speed, just ran out of room. I've run it a full tank at 85 on the hwy several times. I agree with others that you will want more soon if you go with the 600.

Natchez Trace - July 4 & 5 2013
Theja1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Garage

The only thing I want to move-up into? A shaft-drive.
Red/Black
2001 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Blue/Blue

kacealraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm surprised that people are saying there's a significant difference between the 600 and 750. I've heard many say that they are around the same in speed/power because of the extra weight in the 750. I haven't used both so I can't testify. Can't imagine that you wouldn't outgrow both around the same time though. Freeway speeds are another argument entirely though.

Personally, I went with the VLX because I like the look better and they are much more conducive to chopping, if that's your thing. I actually paid more for a 600 because there are so many cheap 750s where I live. I have used a Rebel and have found that the 600 is a pretty big jump from that in terms of weight and power.
Also, just to comment on what someone said about the 600 being for shorter people, that's just not true. The low ride is one of the reasons I bought it and I'm quite tall.
Bowie- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

I agree that 600cc would do just fine, but you may still be wondering about those 150cc extra. Sure, you could still be wondering about the remaining extra CC's in 1100, or whatever greater package, but hat's a greater leap. Personally, I am not wondering about anything on the Ace - 750 will keep me happy for a long, long time. Have no fear of biting off more than you can "chew" - the Ace is surprisingly manageable, very intuitive switch from rebel, probably so is the Aero, though probably a bit more expensive. Shaft drive - seemingly less maintenance, but a good chain will last you a long time, with minimum adjustments necessary. Cheap chinese chains - different story, but cheap chinese replacement parts are all like that...
harpomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Well, I'be been to the dealer, sat on a variety and find that I'm favoring the 750 mostly because the price range is not going to be that different for used bikes. I thought I preferred the spirit but the aero is gaining fast. Of course if a really sweet offer on a VLX comes along I would not hesitate. Thanks and keep it coming!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie- View Post
I'm surprised that people are saying there's a significant difference between the 600 and 750. I've heard many say that they are around the same in speed/power because of the extra weight in the 750. I haven't used both so I can't testify. Can't imagine that you wouldn't outgrow both around the same time though. Freeway speeds are another argument entirely though.
Single carb and 4 gears makes the VLX feel a whole lot smaller a whole lot sooner. It's not all about the displacement of the engine.
ZackDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement