Out with the Rebel... - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Out with the Rebel...

I'm doing some preliminary shopping for my second bike and I've decided I want it to be a Shadow 600 or 750. This evening riding the 25-miles home from my buddy's place, I was already a little nostalgic for my soon to be gone Rebel. It has to work so hard to keep up on the highway band it does (barely), but it is so nimble changing lanes, etc. I was wondering, those that ride the smaller to mid-size Shadows, how is the handling, highway riding and low-speed?
Also, one of the oddities of the Rebel is the gearing...when you hit top end in 5th, you sure wish you could reach down and find one more gear. With the 4-speed transmission, how is it with the Shadow? I'm guessing you spend most of the time in town in 3rd gear?
Thanks for your responses.
whitty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

I have a 600 and mostly use it for commuting and occasion day rides. I don't have a larger bike roadworthy so it has to do. It's got a 4spd gearbox and on the highway (to me) screams for another gear but it will carry me at 70-75 mph all day long. I don't have any issues with the handling but I don't know a cruiser out there that will handle like a Rebel does.
'88 Shadow 600 (project)

The book of John Hopkins map
http://www.travellerspoint.com/membe.../tripid/365293

Book of John Hopkins rider #5
MB_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ace 750 - it will make you happy...
harpomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'd recommend a 750. You'd outgrow a 600 pretty quick, if you've been riding the Rebel for a while.

You'll get use to the handling. It is not as "nimble" as a Rebel but it handles just fine. I have no idea what gear I use in town 2-3 I guess, I shift as required depending on the sound/response.

I do know that on long highway rides I'm often looking for one more gear but it has no problem running for extended lengths at high speeds.

2013 BMW F700GS
2006 Honda Shadow Aero
1974 Kawasaki G4TR Trail Boss

Last edited by 5ft2; 11-19-2012 at 02:32 AM.
5ft2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Definitely a 750 ive had my vlx a year or so and im ready to upgrade just no enough power to keep me entertained

Sent from my MB855 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ft2 View Post
I'd recommend a 750. You'd outgrow a 600 pretty quick, if you've been riding the Rebel for a while.

You'll get use to the handling. It is not as "nimble" as a Rebel but it handles just fine. I have no idea what gear I use in town 2-3 I guess, I shift as required depending on the sound/response.

I do know that on long highway rides I'm often looking for one more gear but it has no problem running for extended lengths at high speeds.
Ditto. I have a 750 spirit, first bike I've ever owned. I've had it 3 months now and I feel it's actually very nimble compared to some of the larger bikes. As far as gearing? I've never had another bike and mine came with aftermarket pipes so its loud at any speed :p

Just Cruise...
Shadow ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

I have a VLX and really like it. I have done the Timing advance mod, the accelerator pump mod and put new clutch springs in it. These really helped to make it a much quicker more responsive ride. It does only have a 4 speed gearbox and I often find myself looking for another gear, but it has no problem reaching freeway speeds and holding for hours. I think I will eventually buy an 1100, but I don't plan on selling the VLX. To much fun to ride with over 50mpg!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

When I grow up......ahh hell I ain't plannin to do that!
Sgoatley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have a 750DC, and am very impressed with it. It is very "flickable". I can keep it in 3-4th gear most of the time.
I have had quite a few bikes, and this is my "solo" bike, and it really feels like it rides on rails.
barncat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

I went from an 85 Rebel to a 96 VLX and don't regret it even remotely. If you find a better deal on a 750, get it, but you won't go wrong with the VLX. Taken it to Mississippi and back twice.
Red/Black
2001 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Blue/Blue

kacealraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

Just traded my 96 VT600 for an 1100 but only because i wanted the bigger bike... period. As kacealraid said the vlx is pretty nice mid size ride... I really liked it and it did just fine on the highway and with no windshield even busted 90 mph with my 190lbs without to much trouble and was still pretty quick to maneuver. But yea as everyone says, if you can afford the 750, get it. Oh and I started with the rebel as well and yes, i do still kinda miss her, but mainly because i had done so much with her and she held up so well with the highway beatings that i did give it.

Papawheelz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.