When to shift? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default When to shift?

Hey y'all I was just wondering when exactly to shift a 750 spirit, since there's no tach!
Caswallawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's more of a feel thing. My bike makes a noticeable noise when I'm hitting the area to shift. Sounds as if the engine is trying too hard, which it is, and I know it's time to shift. Each bike is different. A good rule of thumb for my bike, 600 vlx, is 20-25 in first, 40-45 in second, 60-65, in 3rd, and 4th for the rest. Just gotta find the spots for your bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
-AJ

you shouldn't need a tach to know when to shift. you can feel and hear when you need to. you should know if you are revving it too much or lugging it. it'll just take time.. especially if your new to ridin'.

2006 Honda VTX-1300R
Memphis Shades Batwing, Stock "C" Model Pipes, Mustang Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, National Cycle Hard Bags,
Lindby Multibar, Küryakyn Sound System, Küry ISO Grips, Show Chrome Grille Cover, Küry L.E.D Light Kit, Küry Triple Whammy,
Küry Constellation Light Bar, TTO Tach, Metzeler Tires, Chromed Wheels and much, much more.
-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Until you get used to shifting by sound and feel, the [Spirit] User Manual suggests:
Shifting up:
1st to 2nd, 12mph
2nd to 3rd, 19mph
3rd to 4th, 25mph
4th to 5th, 31mph

Shifting down:
5th to 4th, 28mph
4th to 3rd, 22mph
3rd to 2nd, 16mph
Old 11-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Papasmurf, don't speedos typically read faster than you're actually going? In which case would I shift when it says those speeds, or when actually going that speed?
Caswallawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

shift by ear and by feel of when the engine wants to change gears, dude. Bikes have wide rpm ranges for a reason. You'll end up crashing yourself if you're staring at the speedometer overthinking when to shift. just my .02.
Jammit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
CYD

For me, I find that shifting a few 1000RPM before the rev limiter is better than shifting closer to the rev limiter. On my SV650 I shift at a very high RPM close to redline, where as the Shadow it seems to like being shifted sooner than if it were the SV650.

~CYD
'02 750 ACE
CYD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswallawn View Post
Papasmurf, don't speedos typically read faster than you're actually going? In which case would I shift when it says those speeds, or when actually going that speed?
Speedometer accuracy will vary per bike but shouldn't be so much you need to worry about it now. I've read that some Shadows are off by 10%, usually reading higher than actual. And I've also read about others that were a little lower than actual. If your bike has mods to the tires or wheels it's more likely to be off and if you're really concerned and have money to burn, you can install a speed corrector.

Those published shift speeds are just landmarks for people not used to shifting manually. I'm assuming you don't have any previous experience driving a manual transmission. DO NOT WATCH THE SPEEDOMETER TO DECIDE WHEN TO SHIFT!

At first, around those published speeds (a quick glance), just notice the sound of the engine straining and the decreasing change in acceleration per throttle movement. It won't take long to learn to sense when to shift. As Jammit is implying, don't overthink it. Chances are, you won't break anything (at least not right away ) and a motorcycle wet clutch is a lot more forgiving than a car clutch.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Never mind...

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

When you want.If not when the Bike tells you to by Cutting the ignition at the Rev-limiter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.