My personality = My ride? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My personality = My ride?

I've been looking at the pics of the Shadows (and others) you guys and gals ride. Such variation and some spectacular machines. I'm wondering if they really reflect who YOU are.

Me, I'm conservative, that average joe kind of guy who doesn't mind an all-stock ride if it gets me around and keeps me smiling. I do favor the bikes I see turned out for touring...long range comfort and some cargo capacity. Meanwhile, those lean, mean custom mods look great but I would never want one, just like I would never want a crotch rocket. Yes, I'm a little older now...but I'm not a lot different than I was 30-years ago. What say you?
whitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, the bikes tend to reflect the owners needs or desires. Does it reflect the entire personality? No way! Besides, the limitation of customizing costs, most people's lack of artistic skills to express themselves, and the motorcycle is only one facet of our lives.
justinmahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

if my bike reflects who i am I'm an original,rusty man than needs some work lol, although i like the bike its hard to see it sit there as i daydream of riding and struggle to bring it back to life ... don't be so worried about the vanity just be happy your riding, i guarantee
no matter what bike you get you will be smiling after you pull that throttle ...,
83shadowVLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

I rode mine just a few times before breaking down and personalizing it. Started with the bars and the weeks later, only the engine is recognizable as a Shadow. It really does reflect my personally now, though I didn't intend it that way. I didn't do it to "pose" or be different either. I just felt like riding is such an involved experience that I really wanted to sort of "bond" with bike and did a ton of cleaning and maintenance so that I'd know every inch of her. Now, I don't feel like I'm riding this strange, dangerous machine, but rather a trusty steed.
Bowie- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think bikes do say something about you. I've got two bikes. One is a Honda NT700V. That makes me special, or at least unusual. There aren't many out there. I got is because it's a practical bike. Who does that?? The fairing provides a lot of wind protection, the windshield is adjustable, it routinely gets 55 mpg +, etc. The average owner is in their upper 50's. It is a really good, practical motorbike. Obviously that bike appeals to a very specific demographic. I've made a few modifications, all aimed at making the bike more useful, nothing flashy.

The other is a Triumph Bonneville T100. This bike is about pure fun and looking good while doing it. The exact opposite of the NT. I love this bike.

Does this mean I have a split personality???
vzshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to tgelphman

I am a new rider and like the OP am a tad on the conservative side. I usually only buy something, vehicle of any type, that i like the stock look. I did add a bit of chrome here and there and some functional stuff such as a windshield, crash bars, and luggage rack to my bike, but it is for the most part stock. I do love riding to places where there are a lot of bikes and looking at all the mods. Most are not for me but i do like the imagination others have.

05 VLX 600 - first bike.
tgelphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

What is this word, "Stock", that you speak of? My bike is certainly customized, it is what I love, parts that look good and make me happy, and parts to make it comfortable and practical. It is undergoing another change right now to make it practical for long trips while still keeping a kick ass look to it.

750shadowC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

It's just a motorcycle. Do the maint. Ride, ride, and then ride some more. Ride safe, far, and often.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

i think just having a bike in general reflects a certain personality.

as far as style and customization, i feel that each bike is its own piece of art. much like a tattoo, it has its own personality. can your personality be reflected in the style? sure.

i plan on having many bikes with many different styles.

vzshadow, i love that Triumph. very sexy!

Live to ride another day!
davelisowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750shadowC2 View Post
What is this word, "Stock", that you speak of? My bike is certainly customized, it is what I love, parts that look good and make me happy, and parts to make it comfortable and practical. It is undergoing another change right now to make it practical for long trips while still keeping a kick ass look to it.

I like what you've done to your bike. Falls in line with what I dream of doing some day. But, I am very happy with what I ended up having. A combination of function and form. It slowly developed into what it is today. Nothing fancy. I don't like to hurry and/or go over-board. I keep it simple.

Laters
Advertisement