3rd Post, Heated Gear?? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 3rd Post, Heated Gear??

Trying to decide between just the $250 nice heated gloves, or the $450 full heated gear.. I live in Tennessee, so the winters will only get to the low teens, but i can't decide. Anyone with any tips for a new rider trying to gear up?
itsNatedude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Save your money. Just dress warm.

MeHonda.jpg photo by tucker92 | Photobucket
tucker92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

My brother swears by the heated grips. I'm thinking about getting a set.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

If you've got the money to spend, get jacket and gloves. Gerbing's has the ones I'm looking at getting to replace my Widder vest and gloves. Where you live, electrics will guarantee that you'll be able to ride year round. Just watch out for ice -- mid 20s to mid 30s is more dangerous than low teens because the sun will melt ice that refreezes in the shade or after dark.

As for low temps, the coldest I have ever felt while riding came in the upper 50s with rain. My gear kept me dry but not nearly warm enough. The electrics allowed me to keep going on my trip to GA rather than having to stop for the day a couple of hours from home in the Columbus, OH area. Glad I had the electrics packed!

If I had to choose, I'd take the jacket.vest over the gloves EVERY time. Keeping the core of my body warm keeps the hands from getting too cold but it doesn't work the other way. I've had vest and gloves for 15 years and use the vest probably 5 times as much as the gloves.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient

Last edited by adlowe; 11-24-2012 at 10:59 AM.
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't use heated gear, except for my grips, the heated grips are well worth it and the ones I have where around $70, alot cheaper than heated gloves, here is a pic of me, on one of my colder rides, 17 degrees that day, my chaps have removable insulation,so does my jacket for year round wear,I layer my cloth so under jacket a hoody and a vest

Last edited by Bens06Sabre; 03-27-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Bens06Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have an Olympia Air Mesh jacket and Alpine gloves that have been very comfortable in mid-20s temperatures. No heat required. But then my commute is only a mile each way.

"Past experience carries with its advantages the drawback that things never happen the same way again." - Winston Churchill

E'ville Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 02:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

So I ended up getting the Powerlet Heated Jacket ($349) and the Heated Glove Liners ($89), and just let me say, THEY ARE AWESOME! 30 Degree ride home from work for 30 minutes at 85mph, and i have to turn the gear down 'cause i'm sweating. Seriously, excellent purchace.
itsNatedude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thumbs up Heated gear for us wusses

I'm with you, Tennessee! Moved to Montgomery, AL from Louisville, KY this past month. Rode with a one-piece camo hunter's suit from Bass Pro for the past winter, but decided to go with heated gear because I just couldn't get my hands warm and was tired of looking like the Michelin Man. . .even in camo. Seems disingenuous to wear CAMO while on a motorcycle where hi-vis is better suited, but they didn't have the gear in ORANGE. It is waterproof and windproof as well as thermo, but my hands, well, just couldn't keep them warm.

I bought the same Powerlet liner as you, although I got mine on a "buy it now" from a powerlet distributor on ebay, saving $. Bought the Gerbing G3 gloves rather than the powerlet glove liner, because I decided the liners would make my gloves too bulky. It's a toss-up.

Do you like the liners? What are you wearing over them to keep them dry?

Next, heated socks. . .
Espiritus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Got my heated grips added at purchase - they don't always 'heat' your hands (esp the backs, finger tips), but it is much better holding grips that are 50-60 degrees than 20 or less which will suck the heat out of your hands. Have a Kanetsu vest that I got surplus from sportsmansguide.com for about $65. Have had to replace the cords about every year due to shorts blowing the 5amp fuse, but a life-saver last winter when the temps were in the single digits and my commute is 45 minutes at 65-70mph. As said earlier, just keeping your core warm will make a big difference for the extremities.
pjarhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.