"tool kit" - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default "tool kit"

Newmember and new rider here. The "tool kit" that came with my bike has a wrench, and an allen wrench....that's it? Should I supplement this or is this all I really will need?
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Depending on the bike, you might need a phillips and flat head screwdriver, a couple box/open end wrenches, pliers, plug wrench and a few allen head wrenches.

IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to tgelphman

do a search on this site as there are some good threads on this topic. I personally was lucky (didn't even consider tool kit when first bought bike) and mine came with complete original kit. Now after doing some work on bike one tool i realize is as important as any was the spark plug wrench. I would not have been able to change mine if not for the one in the kit as my deep sockets wouldn't fit. I added a flash ligh and a few multi purpose tools to the kit.

05 VLX 600 - first bike.
tgelphman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Two issues regarding bike tool kits: one if this is your only tools they are not very good and I would suspect are meant for emergency use only. I have an extensive set of tools at home. Two: Its difficult to say exactly when that tool kit would be used ie if you have a part malfunction; do you have the part? Probably not, so you have to go get it at a dealer and they would likely have the correct tools and a manual and trained mechanic. So in about 40 years of riding I have never used most of the the toolkit while on a bike.
Lets say you begin to carry some basic parts for emergency: I doubt you will need to change oil/oil filter/air filter/brake fluid/brake pads/front fork oil/final drive oil/spark plugs so that leaves coolant. But you are not likely to carry coolant so need to visit a garage which will also have enough tools to refill coolant. I tried carrying spare bulbs but when I needed one, my spare had broken. In the old days I carried a small fibreglass kit in case I needed to fill a hole but never did.

So that leads us back to the beginning: is there any repairs that could be made with the toolkit on the road?

Last I think the one thing a toolkit might do is to tighten a loose bolt or nut such as windshield or license plate so I carry two small adjustable wrenches and a multi driver. Some also carry a tire plug kit but I have tube tires. I do carry a credit card and use a towing service.

G.
gdb069 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowmo

I went and got a crescent wrench and an allen wrench multi-key thingy just so I can tighten up little stuff if needed. My mirrors always seem to come loose and need to be tightened at random. Everything else is in the toolbox at home.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks for the feedback! Even if I HAD a complete toolkit I would not know how to use it....I am definately not a gear head but willing to learn.
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Even if I HAD a complete toolkit I would not know how to use it....I am definately not a gear head but willing to learn.
Then you may want to begin by reviewing the simple maintenance items in the owners manual. The owners manual also has a list of the tools that should be in the toolkit. Also, browse the internet for community college motorcycle repair/maintenance courses. And if you don't want the expense of owning tools you may only use once or have a good work area, there may be a DIY motorcycle repair facitilty that lets you use their bay and tools (and advice).

G.
gdb069 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you're not mechanical....a cell phone, a credit card, and some water to drink while you're waiting are probably the best things to carry.

Factory tool kits are junk, quality wise. You can buy better tools at Kmart, including the plug wrench. The only thing slightly usefull is the shock tool, and even that can be replaced by something better, easily/cheaply.

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to tgelphman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
I found this site to be a great place for me as a beginner willing to learn. Good details with pictures on almost everything. I subscribed for a year and figured by then i'd either have printed out everything i needed or done some things enough that i would know them. CYCLEPEDIA Online Manuals ATV Motorcycle Scooter UTV Repair Service Maintenance

05 VLX 600 - first bike.
tgelphman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.