Bought 2002 Shadow Spirit - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bought 2002 Shadow Spirit

Bought a 2002 Shadow Spirit. Any maintenance advice?
WolfShadowP4cker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

I'd give the bike a good tune-up/service as you don't always know how the previous owner took care of it. Items to inspect/change: Air filter, plugs, oil & oil filter, coolant, brake fluid, fork oil, fork seals, final drive oil (if shaft drive), fuel condition (especially if the bike has been sitting), battery, chain (if chain drive) and definitely look at the condition of the tires - are they worn, dry rot, cracks, etc. . . a tire problem with a car is one thing, but on a motorcycle it could be deadly. Give the bike a good wash - even if it's clean so that when you dry everything off, you're forced to take a close look at all the different parts. Look for leaks, loose nuts, bolts, fasteners, missing parts, broken wires, and so on. How are the cables and do they need to be adjusted (clutch and throttle). Check the fuel lines for cracks, leaks, along with the carburetor(s). I'm sure there are other items that I can't think of right off the top of my head that other members will add to the list. Read through your Owner's Manual and look at the service section. Invest in a good Service Manual too. I have a 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit and periodically I have to check the valve clearances.

Good luck and have fun!!! How many miles on the bike? The reason I ask is that wheel bearings and fork bearings might need to be inspected and it might be good to look at the front brake pads and rear brake shoes. I like to know that my bike is in A-1 condition before venturing out on a ride.

2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
-Mustang Seat & Backrest
-Memphis Shades Windshield & Lowers
-Saddlemen Highwayman Saddlebags
-National Cycle Paladin Highway Bars
-Show Chrome Accessories Radiator Cover
-Kuryakyn ISO Pegs (Driver & Passenger)
-Kuryakyn ISO Grips
-Honda Luggage Rack and Sissybar
-Honda Saddlebag Supports
DRVMN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Everything he said. Welcome to the forum.
Red/Black
2001 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Blue/Blue

kacealraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your advice. The bike has 17,800 miles and I bought it for a steal.
shadowolfp4cker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Don't be overwhelmed with everything. Check the important stuff first( tires, chain, fluid levels) and ride the hell out of it. Knock off the other stuff one thing at a time.

Enjoy it!

Sent from my C5155
Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just bought a Shadow 600 and already has quit me. Something electrical I'm looking into. I would check all of those cables, some of mine look pretty bad.
the_gambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Motorcycle.com Free App
WolfShadowP4cker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.