Gas tank replacement - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gas tank replacement

Will the gas tank from a 06 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 fit a 02 Shadow 600 without mods or maybe very easy mods? The reason I'm asking is my tank was rusty and someone did a poor job of sealing it before I bought it. Now it has a leak. I found this other tank for a great deal if it will fit.
docjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just out of curiosity how many gallons does the 750 hold?
the_gambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

3.6 gallons including 1.3 gallons of reserve.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

The 600 has a smaller tank then the 750. I don't know that anybody has tried the swap.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok thanks, I'll wait and see if anyone has tried it yet. It does look like a lot of people are dissappointed with the size of the 600s tank.
docjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Honestly, my 750 doesn't have a much better range than my old 600. Honda doesn't seam to think a range of 100 to 140 mile is too small for a cruiser bike.

Sent from my MB886 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjones View Post
Will the gas tank from a 06 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 fit a 02 Shadow 600 without mods or maybe very easy mods? The reason I'm asking is my tank was rusty and someone did a poor job of sealing it before I bought it. Now it has a leak. I found this other tank for a great deal if it will fit.
I don't know for sure if that swap will work but here is a thread I found while doing a little research. Looks like you have to register or log in.
look under "Parts, Repairs, Tool & How to. 600VLX tank swap

Delphi Forums Login
'88 Shadow 600 (project)

The book of John Hopkins map
http://www.travellerspoint.com/membe.../tripid/365293

Book of John Hopkins rider #5
MB_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

here is a shot of a vlx, the owner put on a 750 tank

He posts [quote]

32075.15 in reply to 32075.14
My bike is an 03. I should have taken pics as I was going along,just did not think of it at the time. The reason I went with the Aero 750 tank was because of the fuel valve location in the middle of the tank. The Spirit 750 tank has the fuel valve at the rear of the tank,makes for a problem finding a petcock that can be used. Not sure about the 1100 Spirit tank.

There are three things to do for the mod.

The rear underside of the tank needs to have the tunnel widened a little. Just hit it with a hammer softly till it starts to give a bit,then fit it and hit it till it works. The trick is not to get impatient and try to rush it.

Next you will need to drill a new mounting hole in the frame of the bike where the rear of the stock tank mounts. It just needs to be moved to the rear of the stock position about two inches.

The thirds thing is to cut off the cup shaped front mounts of the tank. I used some commercial grade Velcro to hold the front of the tank down. Hope this helps some.

JD [quote]

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.