Ok well then - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Garage

OK, it's picking up speed or it's revving higher. If the ladder, the clutch is slipping and either needs adjusted or replaced. How many miles on the bike?

Big B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

It's a 99 with 22500 miles on it. It seem to pick up speed like it gets a boost of power or something.

Last edited by Dylan; 12-17-2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: had more to say
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

It also seem like it is trying to back fire. it has once or twice when I fist go it. also when I ride for a bit then put the bike back in the garage after I turn it off it make a little puff sound. like puuuffff. lol ok so that didn't come across as well as I hope it would. Could this be a sign of the issue I am having?
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
OK, it's picking up speed or it's revving higher. If the ladder, the clutch is slipping and either needs adjusted or replaced. How many miles on the bike?
Which is why I also asked about the oil. A slipping clutch can be due to wrong or bad oil.

FWI-- Not much different between working on a Honda V-twin and your typical Carb feed V8.... Just less cylinders and no hood to get in the way.

Chances are the issue is electical or more likely fuel related. Start with the basics fuel supply, tank, filter and pump and air/vacum leaks around the carbs. WD40 or ether sprayed around the carbs will find any leaks. carefull not to spray the vent tube, wont hurt anything but will give a false positive. Remove the boots between the intake and the carbs. With the motor running look down the throats of the carbs and rev the motor.. The slides going up and down? evenly and smoothly? All that checks out start thinks about the insides of the carbs. I would do a full cleaning, regardless. two reasons, it's december and it's a new to you bike.

Is exhaust and intake stock? The answer to this one affect what you do once the carbs are off the bike.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
It's a 99 with 22500 miles on it. It seem to pick up speed like it gets a boost of power or something.

22K clutch should be OK, but they do wear out that early sometimes.

Kinda sound like you have sticking slides or chokes or dirty mains or something like way out of sinc carbs. I'd bet a good carb and fuel system servicing would fix the issue. Hard part is determining rich or lean, on the web.

Me I think I'd put this issue to the side and plan on doing my "new bike" full front wheel to back wheel servicing. Literaly I'd get the manual out, if I can get at it without pulling the motor, I'm going to touch it. If it is rubber I am going to be ready to replace it and if it is wet it will get replaced. I even go as far as replacing all the fuses even if they are good. By the time I'm done, it's still an old bike, but I know the maintenance schedule is up to date. If after all that you still have a problem, start over cause ot'll be december 2013 by then.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.